Help! 05 cbr600rr problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 01:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd find another connector to replace it , you never know you might want to add an accessory that needs an earthing point

Old 02-03-2018, 11:53 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That’s often symptomatic of another problem, I’d do a bit more investigation before just repairing the connector box.

Old 02-03-2018, 10:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I definitely agree with you. Where should I start? It has an aftermarket taillight and turn signals. I also put on a turn signal relay on when I got it. I'm guessing it's back emf from shutting the bike off? It's all the ground wires which is weird.

Old 02-04-2018, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

Do the aftermarket Tail light and Indicators operate as they should or are the wires getting hot

Old 02-04-2018, 06:57 PM

They seem to be operating as they should. I've had the bike for about 7 months now and have had no issues with them.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:39 AM
Super Moderator

Try tracing the burnt earths back to where they come from that should point you in the direction of the fault

Old 02-05-2018, 01:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I guess the good news is that you found your electrical problem

If you're in a pinch you could probably splice them all together but that would be a lot of work. The best option is probably to replace it with something similar. Is is possible to buy one from Honda? If not, you could always check for a suitable replacement at an electronics retailer

The other thing to be aware of is that fire will make wires brittle, higher resistance, and prone to burning up again in the future. It's good practice to replace any questionable wires while you're at it, especially the ends of any of the burned ones

Improper splicing can also create resistance, embrittlement, and heat. Electrical tape should only ever be used for decoration to cover up the repair, or to hold several wires together. Heat shrink is good for keeping out moisture. I wouldn't rely on it for much else

Hope that helps

Old 02-05-2018, 11:44 AM

I wish I could find something similar. I checked ebay and honda partshouse with no luck. I ended up splicing them together, removing the wire in the pins. So in that sense, I think I removed the brittleness in the wires. The bike started up after working the fuel back through the lines. The only thing is the rpms drop a bit below idle after revving the bike. I believe that's just from it running rich, so the next step is getting it dyno tuned. I think its always been running rich since I've had it, so I hope it isn't a result of the electrical problem. Maybe the tank pressure is a bit off after removing the fuel line and reinstalling it. Any ideas?

Old 02-05-2018, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm not sure if I'd go straight to a dyno just yet (but I'm cheap)

As others have said, you probably want to figure out why it burned up like that. My best guess is that after the ground burned up, the current was trying to ground through the tank (hence the sparks, and why it would be sensitive to moving the tank)

If the bike is still wonky after fixing the ground, it's possible that something else has been damaged, so watch it like a hawk for anything unusual that could be a clue. Sometimes these things take months or weeks. I know this because I ride Suzuki

Is it possible that a fuse has been jumped, and that's causing excessive current on the circuit? My brother helped me out once by the side of a road by jumping a fuse with some pennies, and it got me home, but left the circuit totally unprotected. Something like that could be the cause. Check that he didn't jam an oversized fuse in somewhere

My other suspicion would be the aftermarket lights or anything else that shows signs of replacement. If previous owner had done some electrical diy, it could be something simple, so I'd go back to the basics, as well as checking the other grounds to ensure that they are clean and tight (and don't smell like burnt plastic)

Sounds like the splice is holding, but fyi a terminal block is probably the better long-term option. They look like this, and are sized by amperage/wire size

https://www.amazon.ca/a10073000ux0031-Position-Terminal-Covered-Barrier/dp/B00UWVYA30/ref=pd_sim_23_9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=RS36NV81KZ35YV7E1FC5 https://www.amazon.ca/a10073000ux0031-Position-Terminal-Covered-Barrier/dp/B00UWVYA30/ref=pd_sim_23_9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=RS36NV81KZ35YV7E1FC5

Old 02-05-2018, 06:21 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

An insulated earth terminal block would do the job of your burnt connector.
A block connector would be close but would require more work to replicate what you had.
A test meter would be handy so you could prove your not contaminating other circuits with a bad earth.
Best of luck mate.

Quick Reply: Help! 05 cbr600rr problem