Helmet visibility in the tuck...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 09:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet visibility in the tuck...

Hi all,
I got a funny question for you...
I'm wearing a KBC which fits well and is supposed to be a "racing helmet" higher cut for visibility. It is higher cut than my old KBC. Still, when I'm in the tuck, I'm trying to look up through the forhead of the helemt (impossible) or I find myself looking through the distorted (rolled) topedge of the visor.
Obviously I'd like to see better than this.
I'm 6'-2" and can't lift my head up any more than this in the tuck because the back of the helmet is already onthe shoulders of my leathers.
What helmet has a higher cut? The AGV GP Tech looks to have a higher cut above the brow.
My head is oval/narrow...longer fore and aft and shorter between the ears . Anyone know how the AGV fits? I live rural so going out and trying helemts would be ideal but may not happen for a while.
The Arai Profile seems to be designed for long oval shaped heads.
Any other ideas, thoughts, or suggestions?

Old 07-06-2008, 09:25 AM
Default RE: Helmet visibility in the tuck...

I have a shoei RF-1000 and its not too bad in a tuck, but i still have to hold my head up and back. plus i dont tuck very tight because i have to look over my windscreen (cheepo dark smoke double bubble, looks cool, bad for riding fast and tucking, should have went clear.)

i think there is a limitaion as to how much visibility a helmet can have because it needs to have material around your face to protect you, so its a balance.

not sure about visbility but the x11 is really comfy if you dont mind dropping alot of cash. it has more room for you face then the rf 1000.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:00 PM

arai has a more round shape instead of the oval long front of normal helmets. they are made for racing so im pretty sure they would do you good. just go down to your local cycle gear and try on those arais and be ready to finance. 600+ for the one i want

Old 07-06-2008, 04:22 PM

i have an icon and have no problems when im in the tuck.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:21 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has a lot to do with body position and how tall you are. If I'm fully tucked, and right up against the tank, I can barely see anything out my helmet (either that or it's extremely uncomfortable). But if I'm fully tucked, scooted all the way back on the seat, I can lay my chest flat on the tank, and see perfectly fine out of the helmet and ride like that for hours. Mainly because I'm tall and need to scoot back more to angle my head correctly.

Another thing that helps with this is either a double-bubble windscreen or a full-on race windscreen. The stock windscreen on my 07 600RR is far too low and it restricts me from comfortably full-tucking when I'm up against the tank. The double bubble completely solved this issue, and I'm pretty sure the race-screen would help it even more.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from a Shoei RF-1000 to the Arai RX-7 and it has much better visibility FOR ME in the tuck than the Shoei did.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:18 PM

Hi all,
Thanks for the excellent feedback so far.
I might consider looking at Arai closely, especially the Profile model which is made for long oval heads like mine.
I hear you Blue Fox...I should have mentioned that because I'm tall I almost always ride with my butt as far back as it can go, on the rear of the seat. So I'm currently as flat as I can get in my upper body.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:22 AM

arai = oval heads, more front to back clearance

shoei = more round.

i work at cycle gear haha

either way, be ready to drop some coin. if you do buy from cycle gear you get 7 days to try it out too... and im not trying to pitch the store either, jsut being a rider thats a pretty cool thing

Old 07-08-2008, 01:19 PM

Have you looked at the Scorpion EXO line?

EXO-700 is what Mat Mladin wears. FYI.