Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 06:36 PM
Retired Administrator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Helmet

My reply was to the "Chips" fan Frank Poncherello. I don't see any Aria helmets at http://www.motorcyclesuperstore.com .

Old 09-22-2005, 07:09 PM

I have a Colin Edwards 04 rep Arai RX-7 and it is absolutely superb helmet. Its comfy,its safe,you get good vision from the visor (unlike other manufacturers). quite frankly if youre going to buy a helmet,make sure its an Arai. Nothing even comes close. I dont like being stuck up but all other makes are...........rubbish compared to Arai,no matter what anyone says. Even if you dont buy the RX-7 just make sure you buy an Arai. But obviously the RX-7 is best,its top of the range after all.

Old 09-22-2005, 07:45 PM

Thanks for the support my fellow Arai-owning brothers. My bike came with a brand new HJC when I bought it. Everyone told me "dude you should never wear a used helmet if you don't know what's happened to it." I thought they were full of crap. Then I actually tried one on. It's softer inside, better material, better vision, lighter, and better ventilated. I used to sweat inside my HJC. it's never happened in the Arai. If there's anything I could spend to make me a little safer I would spend it. By the way, I buy premium gas for my bike too.

I called a local shop that also has retail web site (www.ironpony.com) to see why they don't sell their Arai helmets online. He said "It's Arai's policy to not allow their retailers to sell their helmets online or through mail order. Arai will only guarantee their helmets if you've purchased the helmet in a retail store and if you have the warranty card signed by the dealer you purchased it from."

Didn't the CHiPs guys wear open-faced helmets? What would they know about it anyway.

By the way, there are no Arai helmets sold at http://www.motorcyclesuperstore.com.

Old 09-22-2005, 08:04 PM

You do right about buying an Arai..............definetly.

Old 09-22-2005, 08:57 PM

sorry mr frank. but i am a firm believer in getting what you pay for, and whatever the differences might be between my new 750$ arai and a 110$, hjc they are differences that will most likely keep me from breathing out of a tube for the rest of my life, so that to me is the best money i have ever spent. And inscurance doesnt do you any good when your dead. Spend money, stay alive.

Old 09-22-2005, 11:54 PM

Ill give you a quote on what our shop sells arais for... and see if we can cut ya a deal bro.. the thing is arai is somewhat like SIDI.

Sidi wont let you discount their boots, and if they get wind of it, they will pull all Sidi products off the floor for good from y our shop.

there is more horror stories on arai's website, you should check it out.... browse around.

Old 09-23-2005, 12:54 AM

thanks for the offer onewheelin, but the lids already on its way. not to worry though, i work at a dealer so i get it for a slightly better price then what i mentioned before. cant wait for my ui panther.

Old 09-23-2005, 02:20 AM

Sorry guys,
MotorcycleSuperstore.com did have the entire lineup of Arai helmets about within 2 weeks. I checked last night after my post and they were gone. Not sure what happened to them. When they had them, they were an authorized reseller. Maybe Arai didn't like online vendors selling their helemts, as was suggested before. I will contact Motorcycle Superstore and ask them what happened to Arai helmets on their site.

My earlier comments were not meant to imply that Arai makes bad helmets, they make very good helmets. I was suggesting that Arai and Shoei but especially Arai have created a false sense of superior quality in their helmets. I've tried on their helmets, they are nice but I can't justify spending $500 bucks for a helmet. I live in Kirkland, WA and almost every guy or gal on a bike has an Arai or Shoei helmet on Lake Washington BLVD. You will see every exotic car and or/bike on the road on Lake Washington Blvd. It is intimidating to see so many expensive helmets and at times some old junky bikes.

Old 09-23-2005, 02:32 AM

Chips was my favorite show as a kid. I certainly would not dream of wearing an open faced helmet. As far as the HJC helmets are concerned. I only endorse the AC-11's as they are very similar to the Arai and Shoei offerings. They were good enough to be featured in the movie Torque. The professional bikers will wear whatever their sponsors pay them to wear. They would probably tell you a helmet is a helmet.

In response to the gentleman's comment about crashing at 140MPH in Texas and being a paramedic. That story sounds like it's made up. Just like the Airborne medicine available that was supposed to prevent illness and made by a teacher. What paramedic in their right mind would travel 140MPH on a public highway after picking up dead motorcyclist off the pavement. If you are in Germany on the Autobahn which is designed and maintained for extreme speeds, 140MPH should be no problem. On a race course, have at it. Who really trusts the integrity of highways in America without first testing for potholes before a high speed run? And if the guy took out a street sign with his (Arai) head, he would be a quadrapalegic. The story also said the guy didn't remember crashing.

I'm just saying that Arai helmets are way overpriced. Owners justify their purchases by complimenting the features the helmet has. Instead why not take the approach Canon did 10 years ago with Andre Aggasi. He endorsed the Canon Eos Camera by stating "Image is Everything." I would say that Arai helmets are perceived as a luxury item. Like a fancy leather racing suit or a nice pair of Oakley's. They have a great image. Kudos to all Arai owners, and make sure you are fully insured in case you have an accident.

Old 09-23-2005, 02:38 AM

For the record. I'm speaking only about the HJC AC-11 series helmets which retail for between $199-$249. These helmets are known as cheapies. HJC in my opinion is the #3 player behind Arai and Shoei. Motorcycle shops in Seattle usually carry all 3 brands or just Arai and Shoei. My statement reflects my belief that no helmet is worth $750 unless it's got some gold, platinum or titanium built in.

I wish Consumer reports would test motorcycle helmets. Street, dirt and cruiser helmets. They do not advertise at all in their publication and give unbiased views.

I will find out why MotorcycleSuperstore.com stopped selling Arai helmets for all of you. If somebody gave me a $700 helmet, I would definately wear it. I just can't justify spending that much for a helmet.

Quick Reply: Helmet