Got pulled over today.. GRR

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 09:06 AM
ox.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Got pulled over today.. GRR

wolfman sorry i didnt explain my situation. i was walking out of the store/ gas station, and the cop walked up to me and asked. he didnt see me riding or anything he was just patrolling and saw my bike, which was pretty ugly at that point. but i still only had to give him name and date of birth at that point.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:00 PM

actually in your circumstance, you don't need to provide anything. thats considered a "casual contact" there is no detainment, and unless he finds a violation of your bike or some other violation, the cop can pound sand. but i will say, it may be in your best interest to comply. there's is always something if you look hard enough.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:44 PM
ox.

ok, i may be wrong but according to the patriot act i thought the new law was you had to give name and date of birth. now itsbeen afew years since i was on the otherside and a few more since i am out of the academy.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:06 PM

one night i was driving in my gf's car and i was turning left at an intersection... the cop was sitting to my left, turning right onto the road i was turning off of. he guns it and and gets to the block parrallel with me and makes his move just as im turnin off the road and pulls me over. after he checks our id's (which i didnt have mine but my gf did) he tells me the lisence plate light was out. haha.

i was kinda wondering how he saw it in the first place seeing as how he never really had an angle to look at the back of the car... but it was pretty gay so i figured id add my story

EDIT: haha i wrote this before i looked and saw wolfmans comment.
i think the cop mighta been suspicious of me in teh first place because i started to slow down and stop at the light (which was green) but before i stopped all the way i realized it was green and continued to turn left. so maybe he thought soemthin was up.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:59 PM

ORIGINAL: gixxereater

there could have been a PBA out for someone that
They better not put a PBA out when MY bike gets stolen. I'm going to ask for an APB though.

[sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]
lol....

g3nesys, he prob thought your were stoned for doing something like that.

fritz, that sucks. i would hate to get pulled over for that b.s... for all the leo's out there, why can't you just say the real reason? so you don't tip off a bad guy somehow? i guess that sorta might make sense. if a leo just told me that the bike matched a description, i'd totally understand, but telling me the tires are bold is just completely ridiculous... in my opinion.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:57 AM

I think it was for a stolen bike check cuz if your bike was stolen you would want any excuse for a cop to stop someone who stole your bike.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:23 PM

Yeah, I got pulled over once leaving my neighborhood cause I fit the description of some guys racing nearby... He checked my license out & let me go. I guess since I'm in the LE profession I thought it was pretty funny, but I do see why or how someone might feel harrassed. I would have at leasted explained to you before I'd depart the real reason I had stopped ya after you'd checked out ok, if his intention were not to spook ya...

Old 01-10-2008, 02:38 PM

Here is the deal, every state has all different motor vehicle laws and all different policies on thing such as in Texas you can shoot at moving vehicles where as in Jersey you cannot, you can't even shoot a person who is running away with a gun because they are no longer a threat to you. As far as the tire tread line that may just have been on of the reasons he stopped you, I know if I have a car stopped and I have several minor violations and I am not going to write them I just say the first one that comes to my head. Is your liscence plate perfectly visible in accordance to your state laws? Is the plate light out? Did you swerve a little? Follwing too closely? Not signal? Rev you engine? Any of these things are potential stops in Jersey and it very well could be he was looking for something bigger off of something minor. There are plenty of unregistered, uninsured, and unliscenced bikes out there just like cars. As far as someone said before about bikes run because they are harassed, well, that is the most dumbass excuse I have ever heard in my life and thats all I am going to say about that. As far as the ID thing, again it varies from state to state, but in Jersey on a stop you recieve the Drivers ID only, unless you have a reason to ask for the passenger ID (probable cause, non valid DL driver, passengers car, etc.) And xo. is right when you are walking out of the store that is a casual contact, there is so suspected crime, there is no detainment, and there is no reason for the cop to even talk to you so if you want you cant say not a word and walk right on by, no harm no foul. However if your bike is unregistered and your the only one with a bike walking out with a helmet... guess what. They key to dealing with police is to treat them like a normal person. Be respectful and understand they are just doing their job just like you do and they aren't out to mess with you. I am a pretty laid back guy and more people "write themselves tickets" then I would ever normally write. You can get off of alot as long as your attitude is right.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:49 PM

ORIGINAL: FITZ

Well a little background here. I live in cincinnati and the weather this time of year is usually pretty crappy. I got close to 70 today so I decided to call up the buddies and take advantage of the beautiful day. So I go to my friends house to pick up my bike and ride it to my house to pick of my jacket. So were here enjoying the ride and just as were about to get off the exit we see a state highway patrol with his lights on and has no one pulled over. We thought nothing of this, so we get off the exit wait for the light to turn green, and then we hear it. Blip of the siren and lights flashing. Im sitting here like great what did we do. The cop gets out of his car passes my friends bike and tells him whats up. He comes to my bike looks at my back end and tire. I ask his sir is anything wrong? He tells me " No I was just looking and your tread looked a little low". Im thinking to myself you have got to be kidding me so I ask him again if anything is wrong and tells me no again and ask to see my license. I show him he checks it out and tells me to have a good day and be safe.
Sorry for the long story, but I have never been pulled over for something so idiotic. I mean my tread is low!!! Its not even that low I still have plenty left. Have you guys ever been pulled over for something like this or dumber? Can he even pull me over for that? I guess he can do anything he wants but come on.
Actually, he might have been trying to do you a favor.

Maybe he rides when he's not working.

You got no ticket, need a new tire, take the hint.

Quick Reply: Got pulled over today.. GRR