Gasolina

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 12:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Gasolina

it's the rating used when it says 91 or 92, whether it's the reasearch octane number (RON) or the pump octane number (PON). RON reads higher than PON for the same gas.

as far as high rpms, etc...doesn't fall into the equation. you have to take into account things such as compression ratio, a/f ratio and timing. what if the stock ecu says to pull timing at 12K RPM? then using higher octane with do zelch as timing is pulled to reduce potential for predontation, etc.

i'm not saying don't use premium and only to use regular, etc. each bike is different than the next, and gas at one station/company may be crap compared to another.

so i'm saying to use the least amount of octane possible without predetonation. so start at 86, hear ping, go up to 89, etc.

stick the bikes on a dyno...and see the effects of pinging vs. no pinging with minimum octane required vs. more than enough octane. see which one makes more power.

Old 05-04-2007, 05:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: aaron1085

well lets see... a few people just said on their 03,04 and 07 RR's it says run 92 or higher, so who is reading their manual's that say to run 87?
i'm reading page 95 of the North American manual (Honda PN 00X31-MEE-6300) and it states in verbatim, "Your engine is designed to use any gasoline that has a pump octane number of 86 or higher. Gasoline pumps at service stations normally display the pump octane number. For information on the use of oxygenated fuels, see page 225."

Old 05-04-2007, 11:17 PM

I have a 07 cbr 600rr and my owner's manual say's I need to use premium unleaded 91 octane or higher. It also say's "We recommend that you use premium unleaded fuel because it produces fewer engine deposits and extends the life of exhaust system components. Using of lower octane gasoline can cause persistent "pinging" or "spark knock" (a loud rapping noise) which , if severe, can lead to engine damage.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:23 PM

ORIGINAL: OGPlaya

I have a 07 cbr 600rr and my owner's manual say's I need to use premium unleaded 91 octane or higher. It also say's "We recommend that you use premium unleaded fuel because it produces fewer engine deposits and extends the life of exhaust system components. Using of lower octane gasoline can cause persistent "pinging" or "spark knock" (a loud rapping noise) which , if severe, can lead to engine damage.
Premium gasoline ≠ high Octane gasoline

"Premium" grade gasoline is something the gas companies came up with so that you'd think high octane fuel is the cat's ***.

Old 05-05-2007, 01:14 PM

this stuff makes me smile every time!
(do what makes you feel good!who cares what I do. I just read the owners manual and follow what it says. if it said put peanut butter on the chain I would! do you know why? because the factory may not tell you how to get the parts to last the longest but they are not going to tell you to harm your bike or cause permature wear on something they have to fix out of there pocket!)

don't know if I posted this befor or not since this octain post comes up alot. anyway on the radio some idiot called in and said....
87 for 4cyl cars , 89 is for 6 cyl cars, 93 was for 8 cyl cars...... man did I laugh poor vipers have to go to the airport I guess sad thing was they belived him. just goes to show how dumb you can look if you don't do the research.

Old 05-05-2007, 02:05 PM

Well here is a few pages of it. If you want to read about ethanol and race fuel I can add the rest. Some source are below if you don't believe me.

Pulling up to the gas pump to fuel up a vehicle is a weekly routine for most people. After getting out of the vehicle there are two or three choices most of the time, unleaded regular gasoline with 87 octane, unleaded plus with 89 octane, and unleaded premium with a whooping 93 octane rating. These octane numbers can be confusing to most vehicle owners. “Octane ratings measure a gasoline’s ability to resist engine knock, a rattling or pinging sound that results from premature ignition of compressed fuel-air mixture in one or more cylinders†(F.T.C. 1). In more understandable words, when a piston is on its compression stroke nearing top dead center, if the fuel has to low of an octane rating for the engine, the gasoline will actually ignite itself before the spark plug ignites it, resulting in a knocking noise. This is known as premature ignition or preignition. Over time engine damage can occur because of premature ignition. This is why octane ratings should not be over looked.
Zooming in on the octane sticker next to the pump, an equation for the octane rating can be found. RON+MON/2= Octane. According to Phil Coconis, “MON is the ability to reduce knocking at high RPM’s and loads, and RON is the ability to reduce knocking at lower RPM’s†(Coconis 1). For example, say an engine can use a minimum octane rating of 85 at high RPM’s and loads, and has a minimum octane rating of 89 at higher RPM’s and load. Adding the two numbers up and dividing by two will give a minimum octane rating of 87. This will be the number on the large yellow sticker next to the pump nozzle.
Most vehicle owners may have wondered if they are using the correct octane fuel. They may think they are abusing their car by only fueling unleaded regular gasoline in their fuel tanks. To understand what fuel must be used in every car there is one simple answer. Open the owner’s manual and find out what is recommended for that vehicle. In every manual it will state what octane fuel should be run. The engineers run multiple tests to figure out the best octane for that specific engine. Upgrading to the next higher fuel octane rating will not harm an engine but it will also have no benefits. The Federal Trade Commission state, “Higher octane gasoline is not better at preventing engine deposits from forming or cleaning the cars engine. All brands of gasoline must contain cleaning detergent additive to protect against carbon build-up†(F.T.C. 1). The higher octane only helps prevent premature ignition and will not keep an engine cleaner.
Octane ratings can be different for all types of engines. There are many factors that play a role on what the minimum octane gasoline is needed. “Compression ratio, ignition timing, air-fuel ratios, temperatures and combustion chamber design all have an affect of the octane number requirement. Compression ratio has the most significant impact on the octane number required and engine efficiency†(Cann 1). When a large volume of air/fuel is compressed into smaller areas, a higher compression ratio will result. “A vast majority of new cars do fine on regular 87 octane†(Peters 35). Which their engine would probably have an 8.5 to 1 compression ratio. Higher compression engine such as 10 to 1 compression will require about 93 premium octane fuel. Over that such as 12 to 1 or even 13.5 to 1 could require even higher octane. Stated by Rick Sieman, “The relationship of compression ratio to the octane rating has no real linear relationship†(Sieman 2). There is no set number of octane for a specific compression ratio. Every engine is different and requires different needs. Basically without the use of a “high-compression, high-performance sports or luxury car, an engine will run just fine on regular unleaded gasoline†(Peters 35).
Although r

Old 05-06-2007, 01:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no i do believe you about the paper, i just wanted to read it cause i'm a geek like that. very good stuff...tahoe likes!
NO i don't want to read about race fuel and ETOH thank you though ;-)

Old 05-06-2007, 03:23 AM

Oh my, a gasolina argument. How informative; just like the 2000 other threads before this one.

Old 05-25-2007, 01:25 AM

the more i read these arguments the more confused i get.

Old 05-25-2007, 01:33 AM

don't be. it ain't worth it. always run the lowest recommended fuel and you'll be set.