Gasolina

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 09:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gasolina

Under the passanger seat on my 04 RR there is a sticker that has use 92 or higher.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:28 PM

All of this debate seems ridiculous....

Like said earlier in the thread, if you're concerned about spending an extra .40 per fill up, then you shouldn't be on a performance machine of any sort. I could see this being an issue if 87 octane was $2.90/gal and 93 was $10/gal, but it's not...it's really not that much more expensive guys, and if its a huge deal then look on the ground, I'm sure you can find a couple of quarters laying around. I personally would run the highest octane available to me, but I guess not everyone treats their engine like it's their child, its a shame too.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

use what you 'feel' you need.
it's obvious there are no engineers in people posting in this thread.
so whatever makes you feel good!
science can't argue with ignorance because ignorance won't listen.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC
science can't argue with ignorance because ignorance won't listen.
yup....

Old 05-03-2007, 12:17 AM

Run what the manual says to get the best performance. To high of octane will make you lose performance... it will be so small you wouldn't notice but it is proven. To say premium is cleaner than regular is the biggest lie. Of course they want you to think that. All gasoline has standards and a certain amount of additives. This might vary from gas station to gas station but not from 87 to 93 at the same station. I did a 10 page research pager on this at Wayne State for my mechanical engineering degree. If anyone wants to read it I will email it to them. Believe me it is not worth talking about this because everyone has their opinion and nobody will change it.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:35 AM

this must sound strange but when i use a particular big brand name's 93octane compared to their 89 (mid) octane the bike feels like its running crappier. it feels alot smoother accelerating on the 89 octane. but ... if i try 93 on the other big brand name it runs nicely. so i'll just avoid the previous big brand's 93 gas, maybe it has additives that are not compatible with motorcycle engines, i dunno..

Old 05-03-2007, 12:48 AM

Use BP, shell, or mobile. Use the stations that get the most business which in turn have the newest gas. If your bike says run 86 and you run 93 you might as well throw some high compression pistons and advance the timing a little and then you might get the your moneys worth out of the gas. Use the gas that makes you sleep the best at night.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:08 AM

ORIGINAL: transamlt1man
Use BP, shell, or mobile. Use the stations that get the most business which in turn have the newest gas. If your bike says run 86 and you run 93 you might as well throw some high compression pistons and advance the timing a little and then you might get the your moneys worth out of the gas. Use the gas that makes you sleep the best at night.
That (and what Tahoe worte) pretty much nail it right on the head. Hell I'd probably enjoy reading your paper...
I'm an engineer, an ex-mechanic, and someone who has been inside litertially hundreds of engines (car, boat, atv, motorcycle, etc...).

Run the LOWEST octane rating you can that does NOT make cause pre-ingition (pinging, dentonation, etc..). Running "high octane" actaully causes carbon to build up much faster and thicker in the intake ports, valve stems and tops of your pistons. This in turn causes bad drive ability and loss of power down the road. The FACTS behind this is that the higher the octane rating, the slower the fuel-air mixture burns, so unless your engine is designed for higher octane - it's in the owners manual[sm=icon_rtfm.gif] (or have had serious internal engine work done) all you're doing is mucking up the engine and throwing money away by running the "expensive stuff".

Anther thing is 99% of all gas station only have two holding tanks, yet sell three grades of gas... gee I wonder how they get the "mid" grade? [sm=oopssign.gif]

Old 05-03-2007, 02:38 AM

ORIGINAL: OneWheelinRR

ORIGINAL: TxAg98

I wouldnt waste your money. If the manual states 86 or higher, why would you pay extra for the high grade stuff.
Run 86 in your tank all you want, in fact, use any car oil for oil changes too... why WASTE your money right?

My stunter friends run 87 and use 97 cent wal mart oil... and they still got running bikes... but Ill stick with my Silkolene or R4 at like 7-10$ a Qt, and my 30$ plugs, and my 3.00$ gas now... In fact, while your at it, why waste your money? SELL YOUR BIKE AND GET A SCOOTER...

???WHY WASTE YOUR MONEY??? gets you to where your goin, VERY GOOD GAS MILEAGE ON 86, CHICS LOVE EM, YOU CAN CARRY DRINKS, AND NEVER GET A TICKET, AND YOU HAVE A TRUNK!!!, AND ARE STILL ON 2 WHEELS.... Putt Putt
your stunter friends will be selling those bikes soon enough with running cheap fluids and living in the redline neighborhood... ill waste my money, dont worry!

Old 05-03-2007, 01:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on the otherhand...we do need to thank guys like aaron for keeping the economy afloat...muahhahahaha ;-)

transaltmang...i'm interested in your paper...do you have pdf? PM me!