Fuel Pump Opinion

Old 11-23-2011, 01:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Opinion

I now have a 03 600rr and the fuel pump has went out on me. I was wanting opinions on buying a used fuel pump vs. a new pump as the new ones are somewhat pricey. there is one currently on ebay for $30 dollars, but i dont want to waste my money. any insight would be appreciated

Old 11-23-2011, 01:50 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

used parts are a gamble. they may work for a while, a little while, or not at all. high failure parts like pumps, r/r, brakes, bulbs, etc, i buy new, while non failure parts like brackets, pegs, rims, etc, i look to save money searching used stuff.

if you feel luckier than wealthy today, go used.... if not, get new and be done with that issue.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:24 PM

yeah id say pony up the cash and go new unless youre really strapped for cash and you cant wait till you can afford a new pump, then it should do for a little while at least unless you get lucky like demon said, otherwise you could be replacing it again in only a few months. Definitely a gamble, and only a matter of time, so weigh the options and based on your budget it shouldnt be too hard to figure out what the smarter move for you is.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:25 PM
October 2011 ROTM

How do you know that your fuel pump went out? Fuel pumps are not a know issue on these bikes. Can they go out? Yes but it is not common.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:59 PM

thanks for the input. i think im just going to go new and be done with it. the reason i believe its my fuel pump is b/c when i turn the key to the on position everything works as it normally should execpt the FI light doesnt come on and the pump doesnt prime. I checked the voltage going to the pump from the wiring harness and the voltage meets the specs in the service manual.

Old 11-24-2011, 02:22 AM

Woof, hold up then. So the pumps just not priming? You might be able to save yourself a little money and trouble here. Did anything happen between when the bike used to start normally and now, when the pump wont prime? Is there anyway it could be a simple switch/sensor/electrical problem? BAS? Ignition diode? kill switch? Check your fuses? Neutral switch? Kickstand switch? Headlight harness? Check all the basics and obvious problems first before assuming its the pump.

Id also recommend trying to supply the pump with a direct power source with a jumper wire. If it still doesnt prime after all that then go ahead and replace that bitch.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:29 AM

i rode my bike like 2 weeks ago, it got cold outside so i let it sit until i tried to ride it again two days ago. i checked the fuses and relays and they were good. it was my understanding that if the BAS/killswitch/fuel pump relay was bad then there would be no voltage going to the fuel pump, but i am going to try to and get it to run with an outside voltage source like you mentioned. if the pump still does not prime after this then my pump is def the issue correct?

Old 11-24-2011, 09:47 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Try slapping the side of the tank with the key on. If you can get it to run, then its the pump. If not, test further. Dont bench test it, keep it in the tank. Any spark you make by jumping it is bad if there are any fuel vapors lurking.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:22 AM

Well what i meant was you jump the relay engine/fuel cut off relay whatever it is that goes to the pump, sorry.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:41 PM
October 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by SCCBRF2
i am going to try to and get it to run with an outside voltage source like you mentioned. if the pump still does not prime after this then my pump is def the issue correct?
Yes you should try to hook the pump to a jump box and see if that will get it to prime. If yes then it is something else and if not then it is probably a bad pump.

Originally Posted by 74demon
Try slapping the side of the tank with the key on. If you can get it to run, then its the pump. If not, test further. Dont bench test it, keep it in the tank. Any spark you make by jumping it is bad if there are any fuel vapors lurking.
This makes no sense to me. Slapping the side of the tank is not going to do anything besides dent or mess up your tank which is not what you want. I also don't think slapping the side of the tank and then all of the sudden it running means it is the pump. It could be a bad connection in which case you will have to remove the fuel pump to clean the connectors and do a visual inspections.

Originally Posted by nickp123
Well what i meant was you jump the relay engine/fuel cut off relay whatever it is that goes to the pump, sorry.
I disagree. Jump the pump first and work your away backwards. The pump is the most expensive part. If you jump it and that is good then you can eliminate that as your problem.

When the fuel pump doesn't prime on these bikes it is 97% a bad electrical connections. Relays and pumps are not known for going bad. It can happen but but it is not common so I would start with the electrical system. It might just be a bad connection.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Opinion