Flat Footed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 08:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat Footed?

How important is it that I be able to put both feet flat on the ground while sitting on my '07 CBR600RR? Right now I tippy-toe with both feet while stationary on it. I have read about the disadvantages to lowering the bike, and I'm not convinced that it's necessary. What would you more experienced riders recommend? I'm 5' 7" btw.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:05 AM
Default RE: Flat Footed?

Its only for the protection of your bike!!!For some people its hard to control the bike's balance.
as long as you are experienced rider...i dont think you would even put one foot on the ground when u are stoppping your bike..LOL..

Old 04-14-2008, 09:09 AM
Banned

Get your legs extended like in Gattaca.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:28 AM

Its a matter of how comfortable you feel with the bike. Tip Toeing a bike will play an effect when you stop and there is gravel, sand, oil or stopping on a hill. Anyone of those things can cause the bike to go down easier then someone that is flat footed. Just be Extra careful and you should be ok.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:29 AM

Lowering your bike, in the event that you aren't drag-strip oriented, has several negative effects. You do not have to sit flat-footed... you don't spend much time stopped and just sitting anyways. Though I can flat-foot my 07, I still lean to one side (usually my left) and rest that way. You should be flat footed if, when you come up to a light, choose a side, and lean the bike that way. Rest the weight on your down foot, call it good, then speed into the sunset on Green!

Old 04-14-2008, 09:48 AM

i thought about lowering my bike as well, but i decided not to because it would sacrafice a lot of handling issues from what i'm told. i'm the same height as you, 5'7 and i have short legs, i can tippy toe on each side, and i haven't had a problem, been riding since december. parking can be an issue, but just make sure you choose your spots wisely so you don't have to back out (which is hard for me on tippy toes!) another thing, i would just park, and then spin it back around on the kick stand =] hope this helps

Old 04-14-2008, 10:40 AM

This is the main reason why I haven't chosen between the GSXR600 and the CBR600RR. I love honda quality and relibility and stunning looks, but the GSXR is just plain shorter. It's not as comforatable between my thunder thighs as the CBR though. But on the CBR I'm on my toes and on the GSXR I'm ALMOST flat footed. The CBR also has a much more comforatable riding position. GSXR is a bit agressive. I'm still not sure which I'll choose. I'm leaning towards honda though..

Old 04-14-2008, 10:44 AM

I tippy toe on with both feet down, but if you put one foot on the pet and the other one down you will flat foot. thats what i usually do just sittin idle, one foot on one foot off

Old 04-14-2008, 10:45 AM

I'm probably about the same height as you. And I'm pretty sure my F4i seat is fatter making it harder to put my legs down straighter being able to flat foot easier. But one footing it isn't a problem. The only problem from time to time is if you have to back out of a spot, but usually I pull into spots which make for an easier get away lol. And if I have to I'll get off the bike and push the damn thing out then hop on lol. Or do the swivel method on the kickstand heh.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:48 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll put it like this.........

How long does a rider ever put their foot down? Maybe for a total of a couple minutes throughout the entire day? So with that being said, how long do you spend riding? One, two, four hours? So what's more important, lowering your bike so you feel comfortable for those few minutes you have your foot down, or for the few hours you spend riding it?

Lowering a bike changes the handling (and in the majority of cases, if not all, for the worse) There is a reason Honda doesn't make their own lowering links, because they've spent millions developing the bike to handle like it does. The second you throw on a lowering link, you throw all that research and development out the window.

But that's where I stand on the matter.

Quick Reply: Flat Footed?