First Crotch rocket

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 11:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First Crotch rocket

The discussions have stayed (for the most part) true to that question and my previous reply IS about low speed/parking lot/u-turn techniques...yes...the throttle even works at low speeds

The throttle can be your best friend, or worst enemy...

Old 06-16-2006, 12:47 PM

Fretless I agree, somehow, maybe I was overly elaborate, and zzz11 blew what I was trying to say out of proportion. I guess the best thing is to keep it simple.[sm=closed.gif]

Old 06-17-2006, 01:25 AM

Gas is on the right, brake is on the left??????

Old 06-17-2006, 01:50 AM
Retired Mod

to the guy who originally started this post:

sounds to me like a case of overthinking. you obviously have identified your problem (low-speed cornering) and have spent WAY to much time dwelling on it. but i'm guessing that the next time you are faced with a slow corner, your mind will be running at 1000 mph. i read this, i should try that. this will always get you.

hit an empty lot and have some fun. don't think about it, just do it. see what works for you.

Old 06-17-2006, 08:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Fretless33

ORIGINAL: FordFrenzy97

Never adjust your speed with the throttle on a slow sharp turn slip the clutch.
Wrong Mr. Ford...this is where the classic saying comes into play, "when in doubt, gas it!" If you're starting to loose it and you feel like the bike's going to fall over, dial in some throttle and that will make the bike stand up some more...don't be afraid of the throttle, because it can save your *** sometimes!

Just about all you guys have the right concept, You shift your body weight/position to the opposite side (as far as the inside arm will allow), weight the outside peg and look where you want to go...that's pretty much all there is too it!

However, it's obvious that some of you don't have a friggin' clue...
All I was saying is that in my MSF class, on the tight figure eight turn, they told us to keep a steady rpm and slip the clutch. So maybe it was the instructors "didn't have a friggin clue"! This thread starter is not talking about a sharp turn in the road he is talking about making a very slow sharp turn in a small area in first gear.

Old 06-18-2006, 02:08 AM

This thread starter is not talking about a sharp turn in the road he is talking about making a very slow sharp turn in a small area in first gear.
So was I...

You can definitely slip the clutch...if that works for ya then go with it...what your instructor is talking about is maintaining your speed during a slow turn (basic motorcycle operation), but you made an inaccurate statement about adjusting your speed in a slow turn...in fact you said "never," so I was offering an example of when you should...unless you stick your leg out and try to prop up your moving/falling 400 pound bike...I prefer to give it some gas and save the strained muscle.

If I was trying to pass an MSF class I'd feather the clutch...but there's so many more variables in real life.

Old 06-18-2006, 08:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Fretless33

This thread starter is not talking about a sharp turn in the road he is talking about making a very slow sharp turn in a small area in first gear.
So was I...

You can definitely slip the clutch...if that works for ya then go with it...what your instructor is talking about is maintaining your speed during a slow turn (basic motorcycle operation), but you made an inaccurate statement about adjusting your speed in a slow turn...in fact you said "never," so I was offering an example of when you should...unless you stick your leg out and try to prop up your moving/falling 400 pound bike...I prefer to give it some gas and save the strained muscle.

If I was trying to pass an MSF class I'd feather the clutch...but there's so many more variables in real life.
Ok my bad I shouldn't have said never.[sm=oopssign.gif]

Old 06-19-2006, 09:52 PM

[sm=bicker.gif] Ding Ding Ding,,,,, and the winner is