First accident...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 11:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First accident...

Sunday I was riding home from work around 7 pm on a country road with a speed limit of 55 mph. I came over the top of a hill and to my surprise found a car doing a U-turn on the backside of the hill. I tried to avoid that car and not lay the bike down but I only was able to do one of those. There was a car coming at me from on coming traffic as well so I tried to go right on the edge of the road to get around the u-turn idiot and well, he continued to go right and right and right until I had no room and laid the bike down.

Obviously I am mad that he is an idiot and can't drive but on the bright side I am still alive and fairly OK. A little road rash, concussion and some torn ligaments in my right ankle and just general soreness all over were the only resulting injuries. I ended up down in a ditch after doing some serious rolls and flips; pretty gnarly but only because I am okay.

As for the bike; it stayed on the right side throughout the crash. Broke off the foot peg, rear brake lever, bar end, part of the front brake lever and obviously scratched and cracked all of the fairings on that side. Also it scratched up the engine case as well. I had the bike towed to my house but have not gone out and assessed what is actually wrong since first look right after the crash. I do know I am leaking oil and that it is stuck in 4th gear.

The "idiot" seemed like a decent guy. He apologized, said it was his fault (even though no ticket was given) and said that whatever his insurance company does not cover he will, although I feel that is promise people rarely keep. He did however call yesterday to see how I was doing which was nice of him.

Makes me mad that this happened as my girlfriend blew an intake valve on her bike earlier this year and just got it fixed. We went on one ride together and then this happened! Oh well, like I said I am lucky that all of my injuries will heal.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:27 PM

good to hear you are recovering! did the popo come? make sure that idiot keeps his word and pays up. too many times people promise they pay but change their minds

Old 09-09-2009, 03:31 PM

Glad you're going to be OK. Suks about your bike.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I am sorry to hear you crashed ... but any crash you can walk, limp or hobble away from
is a good crash ... bikes are replaceable/fixable
Good luck fixing and/or replacing ... hope you heal soon :-)

Jules

Old 09-09-2009, 05:27 PM

Were you geared up? Jacket/helmet etc? Not being your mom - just a curious newbie seeing if I'll survive.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by jpanside@gmail.com
good to hear you are recovering! did the popo come? make sure that idiot keeps his word and pays up. too many times people promise they pay but change their minds
Yes the police did come. I also found out some good news today, his insurance company is going to pay for all repairs necessary on it.

Originally Posted by freakyb
Were you geared up? Jacket/helmet etc? Not being your mom - just a curious newbie seeing if I'll survive.
Yes, I was geared up. Full helmet, Cortech jacket and gloves, Sidi boots, and a pair of Levi's. I have to admit, I don't always wear a jacket on hot days.

-Thank you gr8scape and Jules

Old 09-10-2009, 01:47 PM

Good thing ur ok. I will be buying new plastics for the entire right side of my bike in the next year also..... I wrecked cause the road is crap that I live on, and I am not a good rider yet.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:09 PM

Glad to hear you're ok and insurance is paying for everything.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:48 PM

They are paying for the bike so you don't go after them for personal injuries. Bikes are cheap and if they can get you to sign a release for all your personal injuries, they will gladly pay for your bike. You might want to avoid any release language that is that broad. The truth is they owe you the money and they have no right to any release.

What happened is they took their own insured's recorded statement and he told them he was making a u-turn. If that isn't illegal across the board where you are, it is certainly illegal to do it where it isn't safe to do so. They know that. They know they would lose a court battle. Especially since your guy admitted fault on the spot which you can testify to (no it isn't heresay).

So, get your knee checked out. Ligament injuries don't heal up real nice every time and you may have a life long PITA injury to deal with. Good luck.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:45 AM

wow that sucks man but as long as your ok

Quick Reply: First accident...