Female needs some advice!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Female needs some advice!!!!

[]Anyone want to share how they felt when the first started to ride? I have been riding for 4 days and I am so nervous out there. I took the msf class and I am still scared. I am not sure when to shift into the next gear. Anyone want to give me some pointers???? I just want to enjoy the ride. I cant seem to do that right now!!!! Help me. Is this normal???

Old 06-13-2007, 07:06 PM
Mad
Default RE: Female needs some advice!!!!

I wasn't nervous just happy to ride. Who do you ride with? Are they leaving you alone and not helping you out?

I would suggest take it to a parking lot and practice. If your scared while riding IMO you will definately hurt yourself. You need to be confident on that bike but not over confident. You will end up making a mistake because you froze.

I am not really sure what RPM I shift around. I usually listen to the engine and that depends on what I am doing. My .02 is you need to become more familiar and confident on your bike before you hit the streets with traffic. Good luck...

Old 06-13-2007, 07:08 PM

Thanks!!!!!!!

Old 06-13-2007, 07:11 PM

practice practice practice

Old 06-13-2007, 07:18 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a "little" afraid is okay and necessary but it sounds like more than a little. my .02 fwiw if at all possible try and get a hold of a dirt bike where you can gain some confidence w/out nearly as much risk and so you can have fun while learning/working on some of the basic fundamentals. G'luck.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:37 PM

I am glad I did my first 100 miles in a parking lot, and so did my wife with her bike
Get used to doing figure 8's in a parking lot, stoping and starting, getting on and off the throttle
into and out of a turn etc. Change gears when ever you want, do it by RPM - perhaps 6000 or 7000 RPM to
begin with cause you don't need lots of power right now, or do it by sound - when it gets louder and higher pitch, just cahnge up. You don't want the bike screaming at you when you are nervous to begin with.

Take it to the parking lot. Being nervous isn't good. When we all ride, we are certainly 'aware' of those around us, to the point of being acutely defensive, but it shouldn't cause you to be distracted from your ride and what you are
doing with the bike, controls etc. Get a feel for the bike first, then start with quiet back roads if you can, and work your way up to city streets, highways then interstates.

Also, my wife and I both did the MSF dirt bike course - falling off there was fun, and painless, and both of us did !

Good luck,
Chris.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the first couple times i rode in the streets, i was NERVOUS, it wouldve seemed silly from a 3rd person view...guy on a crotch rocket, going 10 under the speed limit, while hes getting passed by grandmas and soccer moms in minivans going 20 above the speed limit...you'll do fineit gets less and less nerve-racking

Old 06-13-2007, 08:51 PM

You don't get to enjoy the ride until you get comfortable with just riding the bike. Parking lot miles help here, but you just can't beat riding with someone that is knowledgable and patient.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:49 PM

You will get a feel for when to shift. 6-7 if your just riding around. Take it slow and stay out of traffic. After your comfortable with riding around a parking lot go find a lightly curvy road thats not well traveled and just ride it over and over again. Practice dodging stuff in the road way. Get comfortalbe with killing the bike as well. stick it in 1st and be prepared and just let the clutch out and let it die.

Have someone around and try getting the bike off balance a little bit. See what it feels like if it starts to fall over. Get comfortable then confident and then the riding will really be fun.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:37 PM

Just keep at it, take it easy/slow, what ever happens ride at your own pace, if yah ride with others dont worry about keeping up, just ride your own bike. try to relax your arms they should be very light on the bars dont get a death grip on them hold it like a bab bird.

Quick Reply: Female needs some advice!!!!