Engine Buzz

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Buzz

I totalled my CBR 600RR in June and just got a replacement bike a little over a week ago. I have about 200 miles on it now and I am noticing a buzz between 5000 and 6000 RPM that I do not remember on my old bike at all. I have not taken it to the 600 mile service yet or talked with the dealer or any professional mechanic about it yet. But I am not a techie or terribly knowledgeable about motorcycle engines in general. I have read that the old Kawasaki Concourses had buzzy engines and that such was just the nature of the bike. I have not read anything about the 2007 CBR 600RR having a buzzy engine though. I also have no idea what a buzz in an engine that only turns up at a certain rev range could be. This buzz is definitely a supplementary sound to the brisk, high pitched hum of the CBR engine at idle or the roar of the CBR at redline. It is definitely something else. I am not sure if the buzz actually goes away at 7000 RPM or if it just gets drowned out by the roar of the engine as it enters the midrange power band.

Any of you guys got any idea what this could be? Valves maybe? Maybe just an idiosyncracy of my particular engine that is unfixable but will never cause problems? Or is there something I should be worrying about? Should I just wait until the 600-mile service? Or should I get it to the dealer right away?

Hope you guys can help.

Old 07-29-2007, 09:51 PM
Default RE: Engine Buzz

my 07 buzzes too.
if it is the buzz that i am thinking of it is totally normal

there is a write up on 600rr.net about it
you have to remove the tank cover and use something like dynomat to quiet it down.
it is just plastics rattling due to engine vibration

you really arent taking it to the dealer for the 600 miles service are you?
200+ for a oil change is pretty steep

Old 07-29-2007, 10:26 PM

Well the service schedule said that a valve check was a part of that service. Actually I am planning to do my own first oil change at 250 miles. I was planning on taking it in for the 600-mile service with instructions to look into that buzz and check the valves. I know my dealer and trust him to make sure the work really gets done and the bike gets a good look over. I did not bother with the 600-mile service on my first CBR, having a long experience with Honda engines being bullet proof and dealers not really doing proper services anyway. I was going to do it with this bike on account of the buzz. But if it's not an engine related issue, I will consider skipping the service.

Thanks a lot for the info, though. That buzz has been worrying me all week.

Old 07-29-2007, 11:59 PM

yup, my 07 600rr has the same buzz, i was actually just about to post up and ask about it but if you guys have it to i guess its normal

Old 07-30-2007, 12:15 AM

hey, had the same buzz, and it was my windscreen. You'll notice that if you press your hand up on the windscreen, or press on the front tip of the windscreen when it's buzzing it will go away. Take it off and put a piece of foam that's sticky on one side at the point of the windscreen. That should solve the buzz.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:50 PM

ORIGINAL: baileyjn

Well the service schedule said that a valve check was a part of that service.
you have 16000 on your 07 already
damn

per the owners manual the first valve inspection isnt until 16000 miles

if your dealer wants to charge you for one before that go somewhere else they are raping you

Old 07-30-2007, 06:21 PM

The 07 does not seem to have the problem from the tank cover. Some have reported the buzz coming from the windscreen, but I have found mine to be the 3rd eye. I have not been able to fix it yet. I have verified by removing the windscreen and pressing on the 3rd eye. I was just going to stick it out until my 600 mile service and see if the dealer cant fix it. Since I only have 475 miles and have had the bike since June 1, it cant come fast enough LOL.