DUMB MISTAKE!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 01:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DUMB MISTAKE!

Word to the wise...DO NOT RUN OPEN EXHAUST for TOO LONG.

I could tell you guys all of what happened, but it wud b too long.

Long story short i believe the heat burnt thru the plastic under the chassis which isthehousing for the battery and[all] the wires that are under the seat.cont on, i think wut happend is that the heat burnt the coating off thewires for the fuel pump allowing it to be grounded out which then shorted the circuit sumhow in which blew the fuse. Before looking under the chassis we noticed that the fuse was blown and we tried 3 or 4 times with spare fuses which all blew as well. Not too sure if thats what happened butwe think thats what it is.

i noticed that the plastic looks like it can be replaced, but there also seems to b sum fiberglass in front of theplastic housing that got burnt. does any1 kno if that can be replaced or do you guys think i will have to get minor body work done??

Old 10-26-2008, 01:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: DUMB MISTAKE!

I would never run open exhaust for any reason.

1. it's loud and makes people hate sport bike riders
2. it's bad for performance
3. it's squidy
4. it turns your spelling to ****

I guess the other kids think it's a cool thing to do though so have fun fixing your bike.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:28 PM

I would never run open exhaust for any reason.

1. it's loud and makes people hate sport bike riders
2. it's bad for performance
3. it's squidy
4. it turns your spelling to ****
OMG, lol!

Ok, to answer your question, I am pretty sure everything can be replaced, but the stuff you burned is not gonna be a walk in the park to repair. Did you remove the pipe that goes all the way down to the midpipe? There has to always be something to direct the heat away from the body or other components whether it be on a bike or a car.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:59 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Open exhaust in what way? Stock exhaust without the heat shield in place or without the muffler? Guess I'm kind of confused with the definition of "open exhaust". Elaborate please so I can understand correctly.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:36 AM

Sry & Yes to elaborate, "open exhaust" meaning, no mid-pipe. I basically removed stock can & midpiping and left the exhaust open from the cat. I had the heat shieldthat is on the right side by the rear brake peg still attached. but the underbodyheatshield was all removed wen i took off the stock can.

c the problem wus..ii have a two bros sitting in my closet but ii wus contemplating just getting a seperatemidpipe to direct the heat. I wus torn b/t the decision bcuz i cud return the xhaust get $500 BACK, still have a nice deep sound in which cars around me wud hear, and everything wud b all dandy. Thats y i have yet to install it...

so its not like i wanted to run it the way it wus xactly..its jus my boys were like "lets goride"at times, and me being busy with skool and all, itis/was hard to make a sound decision.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:33 PM

Yep. It was a mistake, and I'm sure you feel stupid for having done it. Now, install the two bros, clean up and tape up the burnt wiring (or replace it, depending on the severity of the damage), and ride it. How badly is the underside melted? If it's not too bad, you should just clean it up and cover it with heat shield fabric. You live and learn.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:39 PM

^^its pretty bad. plastic and fiberglass material has been melted and had a opportunity to cool off,& has taken weird and diff shapes. ill get it taken care of mos def. prob this weekend after these 2 exams. iim always so0o0o bizE...KILL ME...lol jk jk

Old 10-27-2008, 01:46 PM

If you post up some pics of the damage, we can get an idea of what will need replaced and/or repaired, and how to go about it.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:24 PM

wow i thought only gsxr riders did this.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:33 PM

Bummer man...get her fixed and live and learn

Quick Reply: DUMB MISTAKE!