Does anyone have a late model 600 RR that is lowered?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 02:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone have a late model 600 RR that is lowered?

How did you go about it? What differences does it make? Any advice?

Old 06-14-2006, 03:28 AM
Default RE: Does anyone have a late model 600 RR that is lowered?

Don't have it done, but you can just get a lowering link. Messes up handling, suspension. Don't do it.

Why do you want it done? I've only heard bad things from others about lowering a bike. There's also the chance of scraping up the bottom.

Old 06-14-2006, 05:10 AM

I've been researching it for a while,
Just don't do it. For whatever reason you got there's 10 more not to
I'll be the first one to jump on the bandwagon for adjusting the ride height a little because of my stubby little legs. But after all the stuff I've looked at it's just NOT worth it for me to get that 1/4 inch so I can put my feet flat on the ground.

Unless you're building a drag bike. then go for it.

Old 06-14-2006, 10:08 AM

Yeah Im like you, I just need a little bit more to put my feet flat on the ground. Thanks for the advice, I was just checking into some options.

Old 06-14-2006, 12:39 PM

Why do newbies always want to put their feet flat on the ground? Just shift your butt side to side and forget about the importance of having feet flat on the ground, because it's not important! The reduction in ground clearance and worse handling as a result of lowering are far more critical and will really mess things up in the long run!

Old 06-16-2006, 11:45 PM

You can lower it like an inch, its not as bad as everyone here is saying, I personally have my bike lowered and it still handles great and I rip it in the corners pretty hard. The only thing is you have to watch out because you gotta keep your toes on the pegs around corners all the time because you have a chance of scrapin them on the ground. And you will be touchin the ground a little bit faster but not that much faster. Just dont lower it anymore than an inch and you will be fine.

Old 10-17-2006, 01:22 AM

Thats right, I lowered my bike 1 inch, and it still handles great. I didn't have to lower the front suspension either. The bike stands perfectly level, and handles better than before. Both feet are flat on the ground, and I feel more in control of my bike. Don't listen to some of these clowns. Just do it, you won't regret it.

Old 10-17-2006, 01:08 PM

I'm going to do what hunk did and post about 10 of the same replies:

HondaCBR600RRhunk...I asked a friend of mine...someone who I greatly respect and races professionally and here's what he said:

It depends... Just the front? Just the rear? both?

1" is pretty dramatic. If you go from either end alone, the geometry will be all screwed up and it will handle poorly. You will either turn in WAY too fast (front dropped) or turn in WAY too slow (rear dropped).

In every instance, you're going to sacrafice ground clearance which is a HUGE deal on the 600rr. If you're commuting and don't really lean that much, you can get by with it without having a problem, but if you're to the edge of your tires right now (or close to it), you will be dragging pegs, plastics and ultimately case covers until you crash.

Additionally, unless you go with an aftermarket shock to lower the rear, you're stuck using 'dog-bones' to lower it. This REALLY screws up the lever ratio of the rear pro-link suspension. The angles on the 'C' piece of the linkage change pretty significantly which affects the pull on the bike, which affects how the rear shock works.

Overall, lowering the bike is a bad idea. Can it be done? Yes. The proper way to do it would be to:

Replace the rear shock with something aftermarket that can be built shorter.

Lower the front end to match the rear.

Use offset triple clamps to correct the new steering angle.

The total cost on all of this would be around $2000 if not a few bucks more because you would need to have some sort of chassis measurement to ensure the front end is setup right.

Can you do it cheap and have it turn out right? Not really. You're going to sacrafice handling, ground clearance and overall stability.

Hope that helps..
Read and learn...ok?

Old 10-17-2006, 02:35 PM

$2000 for the bike to be lowered right?? What are you smoking? Seriously. I haven't had any issues and many others on here who have lowered their bike haven't had issues. YOU TELL ME TO READ AND LEARN. I tell you to EXPERIENCE IT FIRST HAND, AND LEARN BETTER. Its this type of propaganda that people need to be aware of. It maybe true if your lowering the bike dramatically, but 1" is not going to throw everything off. I read in a cycle mag, that the crew lowered their bike 1" in the back only, and this made the rider have better lap times, yes an improvement. For those wanting to lower your bike 1", go for it. Don't let other members convince you to do the opposite. If they really have to convince you not to do it, then there is a good reason for it, and it may not be in your best interest. Lower your ride a bit, and enjoy. Tell me how things are after you do it. You will love it, and you will notice a positive difference. Honestly.

As for me typing to all those other threads about lowering. Well if you didn't suggest NOT to do it, I wouldn't have to throw in my opinion to do otherwise. There is a reason why your a super member. If you ride more than you are on the computer answering threads, than maybe you would see for yourself what you can learn from riding your bike. Let those that want to lower their bike, to lower it okay bud?! Your discouraging people from doing it, just from what a buddy or two are saying about it. I've been there, and done it, you haven't. So your words are empty. Like I said before do it, and see how good it is. You will notice a better difference all around. If you don't like it, you can always spend another hour and remove it, and put the stocker in. Capeesh?!!

Old 10-17-2006, 02:54 PM

Actually, on average, you post more often than fretless, since he has been a member for over a year, from days hes been an member to posts, its about 1.9 a day, while on you its 2.8 a day. So that argument really didnt work for you. Good luck doing whatever you decide to do Matthew, but understand that its going to be a lot less stable in corners and you will have the feeling at first like the bike is going to fall over in turns (when you first ride it). I have ridden a few lowered and thats what it feels like to me anyways. Good luck

Quick Reply: Does anyone have a late model 600 RR that is lowered?