DMV riding test

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DMV riding test

My dad teaches the MSF course for the marines on the nearby military base so when i got my first bike a few months back (06 600RR) he took me to a huge parking lot with a crap load of cones and we were out there all day doing stuff. He also told me that the bike i had wasnt making it any easier considering i was a new rider but its best to learn on my bike since it will be the bike im riding if something should happen on the road.

Old 10-18-2006, 01:59 AM
tai

Yeah I took the MSF course, BEST IDEA EVER, plus like someone said, it waives you from taking the driven portion. PLus the MSF gives you great tips on riding. For a virgin rider myself, I got leaning and turning and everything with a snap of a finger! As far as making the u turn, turn your head all the way to the left or the right and look at where you want to go. That is what they teach you in the MSF course. Go practice it in a parking lot and make a small rectangle, and practive making u turns within the rectangle.

Old 10-20-2006, 12:41 PM

In Maine the DMV course was nothing like all of those....i literally drove in a square around town and parallel parked once, thats it. However, the MSF course is a requirement to get your permit, which is a requrement for your license, so they make sure you can ride . Me and my ex500 smoked that ****.
________
Site:vaporizers.net

Last edited by Brandon77; 04-09-2011 at 03:29 AM.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:55 PM

I think the dmv test is a joke. Weaving in between some cones and going in a straight line was ridiculously easy. The circle thing was difficult because my handle bar was completely turned into the gas tank and especially difficult going right and the throttle was up against the tank. Who turns that tight of circles in their daily driving? I passed it here in California first time without any practice. We get two trys for each direction of circle. My friends just passed it on their first try and they haven't been riding long at all. The only difference, they were sitting up right on a fz 1000 and a honda rebel or something. The officer said that the guys with the hardest time are the ones that come in with bikes designed to lean to turn. He said even the big Harleys pass it easily. Anyway, my 1/2 cent. My point is if you can't pass it on your bike I have seen ads in the local paper for guys that will meet you at the DMV fully insured on a little dual sport bike for 40 bucks. They will also get there 30 minutes early so you can get used to the bike.

Old 10-21-2006, 04:40 PM

try adjusting your idle to raise it a little so you dont have to give it gas in the turn. just a thought. good luck