Clutch cable snapped..

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 09:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch cable snapped/potential other clutch issues

Alriiiight.

I was driving home from work today, stopped at a store to pick up some bare essentials (stuff that can fit into a backpack) and started my official ride home from there. As I was pulling up to a stoplight, my clutch cable snapped. Luckily I was in neutral and I wasn't forced to weave off into a traffic somewhere or something

But I pushed the bike into a parking lot and sat there for a bit wondering how to at least "rig" it enough to get home -- I've got a little sack of generic-*** tools and .. well, couldn't use anything in said sack to rig it. Then figured I might be able to actually use my left hand to work the clutch arm on the side of the engine case itself while my right one worked the throttle. Started the bike up, "engaged" the clutch and popped it into gear, stalled as if I didn't even have the clutch "pulled in."

I ended up just waiting for traffic to die down, got a running start while it was started and popped it into gear and just cruised home.

But.. did I somehow fry my actual clutch? Do I need to replace the plates? Shouldn't holding the arm have worked?

Edit: It's an '07 600rr with *just* under 30k miles.

Last edited by ProoN; 04-19-2017 at 12:15 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:18 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Was the clutch operating correctly prior to the cable snapping ? If all was good before, then just replacing it should have you mobile again. If you were having to apply a lot of pressure for leaverage, possibly causing it to weaken and then snap, then some clutch cover off investigations would be worthwhile.
I'm pretty sure I could never engage my clutch properly by hand, never mind whilst sat on it and by your description you wouldn't have hurt your clutch much getting it home as you did.
Best of luck mate

Old 04-21-2017, 04:46 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by wes 17
Was the clutch operating correctly prior to the cable snapping ? If all was good before, then just replacing it should have you mobile again. If you were having to apply a lot of pressure for leaverage, possibly causing it to weaken and then snap, then some clutch cover off investigations would be worthwhile.
I'm pretty sure I could never engage my clutch properly by hand, never mind whilst sat on it and by your description you wouldn't have hurt your clutch much getting it home as you did.
Best of luck mate
+1

Trying to operate the clutch by hand would be very difficult.