changing gear sequence

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 03:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing gear sequence

hey guys,

i have a honda cbr rr 600 with the usual gear seq. as 1 down 5 up. its a hell lot of problem for me as i wish to put on pneumatic gear shifting on it so i planned to change the drum to one which has a seq of N-1-2-3-4-5-6.

can that be done??? does shifter drums of other random bikes can replace my cbr drum??.. if yes then how and if not then what could be the other possible ways to achieve the new sequence.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:46 AM
October 2011 ROTM

I'm not trying to come off as a jerk so please do not take this offensively but have you ever ridden a bike before? The reason I asked is because I have rode a ton of dirtbikes, 3 wheelers, quads and street bikes and they all had 1 down then 4-5 up depending on how many gears it had. I have never seen or heard of any bike where it goes N-1-2-3-4-5-6. Based on this I do not think it can be done. The only other thing you can do so GP style shifting which is where you press the shifter down but your actually go up in the gear sequence and you move the shifter up to downshift or go down in the sequence.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:45 PM

Im curious to as why? I think one of the main reasons for the shifting patterns they put on these things is so that you can shift all the way down and know youre in first and not accidentally go to downshift and put it in neutral then have to shift back into first. I wouldnt want to have to check if im in first by shifting down and seeing if it goes into neutral, i can just step on it and it wont downshift then ill know, if you get what i mean?

Old 12-16-2011, 04:36 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would hate that as when I come to a stop I just go from 2nd to N.
I only touch first when starting off the line.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:05 PM

guys the thing is i have to use that engine to make my own fsae car...so i need to make changes so that the driver can get the same comfort as he gets while driving a manual transmission car...i have already designed the pneumatic shifting setup...just programming left. if i can alter the drum..mi programming wud become easy and locating neutral wont be a problem.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:15 PM

the pic on this link...will it work for my engine also???

Shifter Drum - Topic

Old 12-17-2011, 12:36 PM

I dunno if you can modify the stock drum since it would require filling and welding the channels or whatever for most of the stock gear positions and recutting/milling the new patterns you would probably have to get one remade with the right pattern. But it still doesnt change that its a sequential transmission so youd have to downshift through all the gears to get to neutral anyway so itd be pretty much the same process whether its N-1-2...or 1-N-2, it just may be a little more difficult to find neutral with the way it is now. If leaving the regular shifting pattern is an option id probably just go with that otherwise youll probably have to get a new one designed and made or find somewhere that you can buy one like that thatll fit.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:46 PM

does honda cbr rr 600 engine follow the left picture on the link i previously posted. and can it be modified to the one on the right...if tht can happen...mi manufacturing would become easier.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:14 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can't change the shift pattern. The 'throw' from 1st to 2nd is the same as from 2nd to 3rd and so on. The 'throw' from 1st to neutral is half ... so an airshifter set up with the correct action will shift it just fine with no transmission modification.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:57 AM

well..i guess you right then...teams have done it..i just wanted the driver of my car to be at ease..

Quick Reply: changing gear sequence