CBR600RR Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 08:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR600RR Questions

G'day from Aus,

I need some advise ona couple of issues regarding my '05 CBR600 RR.

1. Oil needs a top-up and the manual is a little vague on what to use. What do you guys recommend? Does it really matter what oil is used?
2. Clutch seems to get stuck when the bike is static. When i'm at the lights, its difficult to get it to shift down to 1st gear and in to neutral.Eventually wheni do get it to neutral, it gets stuck and i can't get it into 1st gear again. Does anyone have this same problem?

Old 07-31-2007, 08:53 PM
Default RE: CBR600RR Questions

1. What do you mean, Top up... if you installed 3 quarts with your last oil and filter change, and you need a top up, you've got big problems. if you can see it in the window when the bike is upright, it's enough oil.

2. has the bike been involved in an accident in it's lifetime? are you letting the transmission see some power (not a lot, very very little) from the crank via the clutch when you tap down or is the clutch all the way in when you try? how old is the oil? what kind of oil? How many miles on the transmission? What is your riding like? Aggressive? Wheelies? commuter? more info needs to be given to size up what's wrong with the shifter.

Old 08-01-2007, 05:15 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. I believe it says just to use 10w40. Just to to a dealer and grab a couple quarts of it. As long as it's "Non-energy conserving" oil, you're fine.

2. My bike as also gets hung up a couple times at stops (not often, but sometimes) with being in neutral and not clicking back into first when I click down. Usually, I slip the clutch out just a very VERY little bit, while at the same time applying a little pressure to the shifter and, "pop", problem solved. Only happens every so often though. It hasn't happened for a while though.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:03 AM

Well. hello folks. New here as well. I just picked up my 05cbr600rr. and love it.
But same problems.sometimes It won't go in first gear. Is this normal with this bike ? The bike just had scheduled service 3 weeks ago. (records from previous owner).
So have to rock the bike back and forth a little to get it into first gear.
I have only had this problem once or twice but my roommate who also rides my bike tells me he gets it all the time.

Also. when I am downshifting. I hear loud "clunks" when I go into 2nd and then into first gear. Is that normal ?

thanks

Old 08-02-2007, 03:53 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: NoobInacan

Well. hello folks. New here as well. I just picked up my 05cbr600rr. and love it.
But same problems.sometimes It won't go in first gear. Is this normal with this bike ? The bike just had scheduled service 3 weeks ago. (records from previous owner).
So have to rock the bike back and forth a little to get it into first gear.
I have only had this problem once or twice but my roommate who also rides my bike tells me he gets it all the time.

Also. when I am downshifting. I hear loud "clunks" when I go into 2nd and then into first gear. Is that normal ?

thanks
Yes, clunks are normal. Yes, hanging a little in neutral at a stop light is normal (downshift to first before the light, and you'll never have that problem.) And your roommate seems like he's not downshifting before the light (which is why this "problem" happens in the first place.). If you shift down to first before the light, then click it back up to neutral after you stop, you'll be fine.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:04 AM

thats usually an indication it's time to do oil/filter change

Old 08-02-2007, 08:05 PM

Yep, i concurwith Blue Fox,shifting gearswhile the bike is stillmoving will solve the problem. Its just a little annoying sometimes when it gets stuck at the lights and there are cars behind you.

How often should you change oil and filter? Ijust usually have itchanged during scheduled service, which is every 6000 kms/6 months. Is that too long?