cbr600 transportation question

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 02:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cbr600 transportation question

Ello Folks
Moving soon and I was thinking of putting my bike in the uhaul for ~10 hr drive.
I've got the front and rear stands for it and I was going to tie the bike down on one side.
thoughts ?

any experience and input appreciated...thanks

Old 01-05-2008, 07:52 AM
Default RE: cbr600 transportation question

putting it on stands is not ideal for moving it that long of a distance. What you really would want to do, if you are going to go that route is screw the stands down to the floor of the uhual, otherwise you face the risk of having them flop over while making a seemingly easy turn. You would also want to take some soft straps and tie the bike down on at least four different points. I am sure most people will agree you will want to tie down from the triple clamp going down on each side and forwards so the bike doesnt move, and then from two spots in the rear (the passenger foot pegs work well) and moving backwards. Make sure the straps are tight enough so that the bike is compressed but not totally so tight that the straps break if the bike lurches or moves. Ideally I would inquire about a bike trailer that you could two behind the uhual (assuming you are getting a driving uhual).

And in my .02, see if there is a penske dealer around you for moving trucks, I saved $1600 (read made $1600) moving military style from DC to SOuth Dakota.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:16 AM

go buy yourself a baxley sport chock
it is big and heavy and stable enough to right a tip over then all you need to do is tie down the rear wheel to keep the back from bouncing

i dont compress the suspension at all when i transport my trackbike. i just roll it onto the baxley and tie down the rear wheel.

no blown fork seals, no messed up grips or any of those other problems associated with traditional methods of transport plus the baxley an be loaded easier since it grabs and holds the bike making tie down a lot easier. just roll the bike on and jump off

Old 01-05-2008, 09:56 AM

thanks guys
The Baxley sport chock does look like it will work great.
but looks like they are $230 :/
and I am already spending a lot during this move...so don't have much $$ left on me

I guess I am going to only put the rear wheel on stand and then tie down from atleast four corners.
Also, I think I am going to place the bike in the middle and put furniture around it. thoughts ?

Old 01-05-2008, 10:30 AM
Retired Super Moderator

Be careful about just using the rear stand. One side of my 03 RR actually came off the rear stand it was sitting on at some point during my move. Luckily i had left the kickstand down, and it just scratched the swingarm a bit. The bike was tied at all four corners, but was somehow able to bounce up a lil.

Just on a side note: Hey telgren, i cleared $5000 on my last move from KY to AL. :-)

-Adam

Old 01-05-2008, 12:30 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this going in a U-haul box trailer, or one of those large U-haul trucks? If it's going on the large truck, just rent a motorcycle trailer from U-haul and tow it behind the truck. Putting the bike inside of a box trailer, or even inside the large truck is a bad idea. There aren't proper tie-downs to hold the bike properly, and you'll end up getting there with a trashed up bike, or causing damage to the U-haul itself. (which they make you pay for.)

Or you could even attach the U-haul motorcycle trailer to a vehicle you already have to drive out there. (the motorcycle trailers are $15/day.)

Old 01-05-2008, 02:25 PM

well, I am already pulling my car with the truck on a auto-transport.
so that option is outta the window.

i think I am going to pack it in as goos as I can and hope stuff does not shift.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:27 PM

ORIGINAL: isolated1523

Just on a side note: Hey telgren, i cleared $5000 on my last move from KY to AL. :-)

-Adam
I was a young e-4, that was maxed out on moving allowances at the time with dependants

Old 01-07-2008, 02:31 PM

I just helped my Car club prez move from Fort walton beach to Arizona and we stuck his in the PENSKE truck closest to the bay door and tied it in like a mummy damn near and put just as much tension on one side as we did the next with some good rope and screwed chalks down in front and behind both tires. He had no issues other than the truck breaking down half way through the trip and he had to load everything including the bike on another truck. But he had no issues with the bike moving at all.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:52 PM

ORIGINAL: cbr6oo

I just helped my Car club prez move from Fort walton beach to Arizona and we stuck his in the PENSKE truck closest to the bay door and tied it in like a mummy damn near and put just as much tension on one side as we did the next with some good rope and screwed chalks down in front and behind both tires. He had no issues other than the truck breaking down half way through the trip and he had to load everything including the bike on another truck. But he had no issues with the bike moving at all.

thanks for sharing.
Sounds like, it can be done, if the bike is tied down correctly.
My truck is going to be packed...so not room for the bike to go anywhere.
I'm going to work hard on tying it down-best I can.