Both lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 04:27 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Both lights

ORIGINAL: HondaCBR600RRhunk

I don't know about you guys, but I always ride with both lights on highbeam, when it gets dark out. I want to make sure I see, as well as be seen by others, and it works great. I haven't had a cop pull me over for having my brights on. Cars don't know that I have my high beams on either. If they did, they would be flashing me their light or the finger, so its all good here. Thats how I roll...

That one light business is a European thing, huge in Europe. I guess North Americans are **** about the one light. Oh well to each their own.
+1. I ride with the highbeams all the time....especially during the day. Sometimes when I'm behind a car a night, I'll flip to the low beams so it's not blinding them right in their faces through their mirrors. Other than that, all the time.

Never been pulled over either. My best buddies dad is a cop and asked him, he said that you really aren't supposed to, but he does when riding his bike to increase visibility. He said he would rather get pulled over (a warning 95% of the time) than not be seen at all. Wise advise.

Old 10-16-2006, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem, and reason you don't want to do a dual filament bulb swap, is that the reflectors are not designed for a dual filament setup. Putting a dual filament bulb in a single filament reflector will not get you two low beams and two high beams. The Low beam reflector is just that, only low beam, it can only be a low beam. Same for High Beam, it can only be a high beam. Period.

Even if you did swap out to dual filament, since the reflectors are still working (albeit hindered) the way they were designed, you will have a lazy eye low beam... i.e. if you look head on, at our bikes, the low beam does not look as bright, and the high beam looks bright. The reason for this, is that the low beam is aimed lower... So no matter what you do, your headlights are still going to look goofy.

Long and short, the Best thing you can do, is leave them alone. Asthetics aside, they are a pretty good lighting system for a bike. IF you want both lights on at the same time, get some HID Bi-Xenon Projectors and retrofit them... granted I doubt they would fit, but that is the only acceptable way to get both lights on at the same time. And at about 500$ it's not a cheap option either.

I ride with both on all the time, only turn the high beam off when I'm flashing somebody... or if I'm behind someone for a long time at a stoplight so I don't get in their mirror. Other than that, the brighter flashier the better.

I will say, the only lighting upgrade I am looking at, is an OEM HID kit I put together myself. I'm not sure about the RR, but the F4i has two H7 bulbs... which happen to be almost plug and play for HIDs... so buy a ballast ~75$ a bulb ~25$ and an H7 to D2S adapter ~10$ and a relay/fuse harness ~10$ and you have HIDs... now I haven't seen the output, so it could be disasterous, but heck of a lot cheaper to do than a prepackaged PNP kit, brighter, and longer lasting... but now you have HID Low beams, and Halogen high beams, so you have two different colors... going to exacerbate the color problem.

Why not put HIDs on high beams? Well, if you flash them, that's not gonna work... HIDs do not like to flash. They can, and you lose some lifespan, but it works sorta... but there is a big delay... so I would not reccomend doing High beam HIDs...

Old 10-16-2006, 07:06 PM

Well the good news is that the 2007 will have both lights on at all times.... Honda finally got smart and stopped pissing us of with the one light low beam setup.[sm=vader.gif]

Old 10-16-2006, 10:16 PM

One problem with Dual filament bulbs, is that they do not accept HIDs well. There are 3 choices, 1) HIDs with Casper shield adapter, no high beams. 2) plug and play "Bi-Xenon Reflector. 3) Retrofit Real Bi-Xenon projector HIDs

Problem with #1 obviously, you lose high beams.
Problem with #2 the beam pattern is pretty awful, the solenoid on the HID kit breaks, and you MUST buy a new kit for another 300$.
Problem with #3 is that a retrofit is tough, in a small space of a Motorcycle headlight, VERY hard.

I couldn't have asked for a better lighting setup than the one that honda gave us that everyone seems to have a problem with.