Bike Wont Turn Over - Spark plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 10:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike Wont Turn Over - Spark plugs?

I took off my fairings about 2-3 weeks ago and replaced some parts, I have finally gotten it all together minus the fairings. Unfortunately during the time the bike was disassembled, the battery died. I threw it on the trickle charger and put it back in the bike. When I went to start it, it had a strong charge (lights turned on, blinkers and horn worked). When I pressed the ignition button it would just whine but wouldn't turn over.

I have been reading what other people have wrote about their bikes not starting and have come to the conclusion it may have something to do with the spark plugs. It really shouldn't, because I just had the bike serviced about a month ago and they replaced the plugs. Anywho, I am wondering how do I access the spark plugs to inspect them? Or if anyone has any other ideas why I can't get it to start that would be great.

I haven't rode in over a month and I'm very frustrated. I'm going through riding withdrawals, and with such nice weather it's killing me even more. Please help! Thanks

Old 04-01-2011, 10:52 PM

If it just won start and not turn over, dubtful its the plugs. It sound like something isnt plugged it, a fuse is blown or there is wiring issue. If everything worked, then it would try to turn over and over and over till the battery died

Old 04-01-2011, 11:09 PM

Checked all the fuses and they are good. Still perplexed...Maybe I'll shoot some video tomorrow so everyone can get an idea of what's going on.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:20 PM

I noticed that the FI light isn't coming on when I turn the bike to the ON position. I have no idea what to do now. At this point I've been trying to reassemble the plastics and at some time trailor the bike to a shop.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:21 AM

is the kill switch on?

Old 04-03-2011, 10:26 AM

It's off. If it were on, the starter wouldn't run.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:34 PM

you say the starter wont kick on? like it "tries" to start but just wont? or it doesnt even try. if it tries to start then i would try and swap the gas, i had a bike sitting for 3 weeks and it wouldnt start, turned out to be bad gas. drained the tank (which happened to be full...fml) put some fresh gas in and started up after a couple attempts. Hope this helps, the weather is getting perfect outside.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by CbrHusky
you say the starter wont kick on? like it "tries" to start but just wont? or it doesnt even try. if it tries to start then i would try and swap the gas, i had a bike sitting for 3 weeks and it wouldnt start, turned out to be bad gas. drained the tank (which happened to be full...fml) put some fresh gas in and started up after a couple attempts. Hope this helps, the weather is getting perfect outside.
Okay I will have to try this. Luckily there isn't a full tank. Would this affect the FI light not turning on during start up?

Old 04-03-2011, 11:00 PM

If the FI light does not come on and you dont hear the fuel pump priming whine, then there is a porblem there. Your kill switch may have a short or your fuel pump may be shot. The pump has to prime and you will hear it for the bike to start

Old 04-04-2011, 06:37 AM

if the fi light isn't on. the bike wont start....check all your connections. start with disassembling everything you put on the bike before it quit running, re-trace your sets and check all wires along the way.

Quick Reply: Bike Wont Turn Over - Spark plugs?