Bike won't start after winter rest??

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 07:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike won't start after winter rest??

03 CBR 600RR. I haven't started it all winter. I got the battery charged up and now it just cranks forever and won't even attemp to fire up. Taking a closer listen, I don't believe I am hearing the fuel pump fire up when I first turn the key on. Does the fuel pump need reset or something? Can gas go bad from sitting thru the winter? Thanks for any help.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:48 AM
Default RE: Bike won't start after winter rest??

you should hear the injectors prime when you turn the key to start. you sure you got a full charge on the battery??

Old 03-21-2008, 07:52 AM

Yeah, the battery is fine. I cranked it forever last night. I will need to recharge it now though!!! But, on the prime, I am not hearing the same noise that I heard last year when I turned the key on, the fuel pump prime. Is that a pain to fix? How do you go about emptying the tank of gas? I want to put some fresh gas in there.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:08 AM

Check the kill switch.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:14 AM

What do I check on the kill switch? It is just on or off, right? It won't crank if it is off and it is cranking just fine.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:42 AM

I believe my 600F will crank with the kill switch on off but not sure. Other than that is it possible you turned the fuel off? Not sure if you can even do that with the RR but had that problem last week with my F kept cranking and cranking than realised I had it turned to off. My bad.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:55 PM

You always start at the source so in this case the battery. Then work your way down.

Cycle the kill switch on and off a couple times. After that check all your fuses. Who knows if the plugs are fouled by now but hope not.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:02 PM

That sounds horrible dude. I just started mine this week after sitting since October and it started like it was 90 outside and I just ran it an hour ago. I'm suprised your having trouble. I'd charge the battery again and change the plugs.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:25 PM

ok i can help with this.....charge the battery all for a good solid day.....then...and i know this sounds wierd..but i had the same problem on my 03....after the battery is fully charged.....open the throttle for 5 seconds while cranking...do this a few times but i can almost guarantee its gonna start...its in the owners manual...its floooded...

By open throttle i mean cranked all the way open....

Old 03-21-2008, 02:33 PM

Yeah, I have a brand new battery, I put the acid in the cells and charged it for about 3 hours and got a good 12.7v reading. I tried holding at full throttle while cranking. I do have a 2nd ground that was hooked to the battery before and I didn't hook it up this time. I am not sure what it is for. It looks like a 12 gauge speakerwire and was just hooked to the (-) terminal of the battery. I am going to hook that up when I get home and try it all over again. I swear that the fuel pump is not priming. I don't know.

Quick Reply: Bike won't start after winter rest??