Aprilia Tuono or CBR 600RR

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 10:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aprilia Tuono or CBR 600RR

Hello:

I'm new to this forum. I got my M license a few months ago, and I've been riding around a '08 Ninja 250. It's a great beginner bike, but I'm ready for something different. This may sound nuts...

There are some killer deals for brand new '07 Aprilia Tuonos They're left overs from '07 but their priced around $7,000 (msrp $13,000)!

I was considering the Tuono or the CBR 600RR. I know this is CBR forum, but interested in your insight. Any unbiased recommendations?

My only hesitation with the Tuono is that it may be to much bike for me (but what a killer deal). Second, even though they are priced very well, I'm worried about the Tuono's resale value.

Thoughts?

THANKS

Old 11-11-2009, 11:12 PM

I would only say the Aprilia Tuono because it is a very rare bike, looks good and offers very good power for a bike. You should research the cost to maintain the bike because that honestly would make or break my decision. A bike that is 7k and $150 a year regular maintence vs a super rare bike, parts only found at dealer and more than $500-1k to maintain regularly

the cbr's are also a dime a dozen, Aprilia Tuono arent so you can be pretty sure that ur bike would stand out

Old 11-11-2009, 11:29 PM

well I have completed little research, the "power" ratings you are wondering about, isn’t that huge of a difference, just alot more low end torque with the Tuono. IF you like the Tuono more than the cbr and you can control the extra power I say go for it. BUT the cbr 600 is going to be MUCH MORE forgiving for a newer rider, consider yourself exiting a turn you ripe the throttle on the Tuono because of the low end torque you are libel to end up in the ditch. On the 600rr not as likely to make a newbie mistake, simply putting it the 600rr is A LOT more forgiving on the road, parts are cheaper if something does happen. The 600rr is probably going to ride better on short and long distance trips, and to me it looks better. Never liked the “naked: look not even on my old 954 street fighter. I guarantee you can sell the 600rr, wrecked, perfect, salvage, or whatever 600cc bikes just sale, the Tuono looks more like a acquired taste per say. It isn’t something I look on eBay for. So if you can learn your Tuono and not drive it open throttle like you do your 250, (lots of throttle control especially in curves) and you like the look, go for it, hell you probably have the only one in three counties of you, but if you want to be more convention, comfortable and probably safer while still carving up the curves and eating up straights go with the cbr. Also consider maintenance will be higher on the Tuono…. Maybe this will help you…. Food for thought if you will let us know on your decision.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:46 PM

Hey,

Thanks for the input. I'm actually leaning a little more to the CBR. Honestly, for the reasons indicated above: lower maintenance cost, easier to sell, more forgiving, etc.

Curious, would you put the Monster 696 within the same league as the CBR600RR? I'm curious how differently they would feel. I test drove a 696 this weekend, and I handled it pretty well. It was definitely faster than my 250R, but not unbelievably faster... It was a blast to drive

Old 11-11-2009, 11:59 PM

you mus really like your naked street bikes... but i absolutely would not put it in the same league...

from what i see with the locals... the ducati monster is more of a commuter bike for people who are just looking to get around... more comparable to a cruiser than a sportbike like the cbr... the ducati monster only offers 80hp compared to the 600rr at 111 hp. the 600rr is sportier, higher revving where the moster revline is at 9k to the 600rr's 14k on a 4cyl. the engines alone should say something right there about what the bike is all about

i would neve compare a ducati moster to a 600rr. Sport bikes are a alot more flickier than bikes liek the ducati monster, more sensitive on the throtle and turning...

i think u should tell us what you are looking for in a bike, how you plan on using it, and budget and we can give you ideas.

Last edited by NYKnick1015; 11-12-2009 at 12:02 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:49 AM

go drive one...then let yourself compare the two

Old 11-12-2009, 07:15 AM

I like all bikes, including some of the naked style bikes, but especially the sportbikes. Kawasaki did a fantastic job with the 250R styling.

As for the type of riding I'll be doing. Mostly weekend riding. Around town, and very light highway riding as well. When I researched the 600cc class, many reviews mentioned the Honda was the most comfortable, and livable bike. When I sat on it, it felt great, the handlebars were slightly higher.

I'm in chicago so the season is coming to an end. I'm looking to buy now, because there are some great deals out there.

Difficult for me to test ride a bike. Most dealers don't permit it and especially off season. I could find a willing person on CL.

I don't like the ninja 650R. I may consider the Suzuki SV, but it just doesn't look as nice as the CBR

Old 11-12-2009, 09:55 PM

ill let you ride my 600rr to compare. I mean, seriously, all bikes have their strengths and weaknesses but I have to go with the cbr.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:02 PM
Banned

tuono hands down for the type of riding you'll be doing

Old 11-13-2009, 06:30 PM

I've been looking at a tuono for a couple of years, and I love them, however there are so many factors involved in making that decision, that you're really going to have to spend a lot of time and energy figuring it out. Most of the Aprilia dealers here in FL let you test ride their bikes. Some of the Honda dealers do, but rarely the sportbikes (guess that only sport bikes crash, not cruisers). Down here we're lucky enough to have biketoberfest, and bike week, at both of those, the manufacturers bring out their bikes for test rides (at least 10 minutes and as much as an hour) to give you a taste of what the bikes are like. Good luck, and both bikes are great. Personally, if you were my best bud and asked me which bike you should get, I'd recommend the CBR because it's more forgiving...but that's just me.

Quick Reply: Aprilia Tuono or CBR 600RR