All Broken In

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 08:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: All Broken In

ORIGINAL: knightslugger

the "oil" that in the bike from the factory is not your normal GN4, but rather a mix of GN4 and special break in fluid to assist in proper engine break in.

you should have left in in the engine for longer ctskydive...
thats wierd
i read this and thought to myself, i watched them put my 600 and 1000 together and i specifically remember them pouring GN4 off the shelf into the bike. they never drained anything out of it

Old 08-28-2007, 08:25 PM

ORIGINAL: baxsom

ORIGINAL: knightslugger

the "oil" that in the bike from the factory is not your normal GN4, but rather a mix of GN4 and special break in fluid to assist in proper engine break in.

you should have left in in the engine for longer ctskydive...
thats wierd
i read this and thought to myself, i watched them put my 600 and 1000 together and i specifically remember them pouring GN4 off the shelf into the bike. they never drained anything out of it

the stuff that Honda applies to all internal parts before assembly gets washed off, dissolved and run through the engine. that's what i'm talking about.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This guy talks about breaking his bike in correctly, rather than blasting off from the dealer from day one, and you give him hell for it?

Old 08-28-2007, 08:53 PM

ORIGINAL: meanstrk

This guy talks about breaking his bike in correctly, rather than blasting off from the dealer from day one, and you give him hell for it?
I gave him hell? really? wow, that's a big gift... satan wont be happy about that... oh well, he owes me big anyway.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:50 PM

Anyway all thanks for the input. I seems like i am getting mixed reviews on wether or not i did the right thing by changing the oils so quickly. Either way the bike is running great and having a blast. I dont miss the 954 at all. I am probably going to still take it a bit easy on the bike until she hits 800-1000. But the amout of time i spend on the bike that should be no time at all. thanks again for the input everyone, even those who think i did the wrong thing. But like meanstrk said, at least I broke her in instead of just broke her.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:24 AM

ORIGINAL: meanstrk

without getting into a war
you need to read your owners manual before you start throwing out words that are definite in nature like "correctly"
20 years ago that might have been true but once again to quote the manual

for the first 300 miles pay attention to how you ride
avoid hard starts or rapid acelleration

that is it, nothing kaput there is no rpm limits nothing
in fact on both my 600rr and my 1000rr the tech who did the walk around told me to either trailer it straight to the dyno (i always trailer new bikes home so i can check dealers assembly) and get it broken in on the dyno or find a long straight empty road and run it gradually to 10K or so in as many gears as possible and then let it engine brake back down. he then told me to change the oil to get the assembly lube (what KS was talking about now that i understand what he was saying) out.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:51 PM
Default RE: All Broken In / Slider Question?

I've just been past my break-in aswell. The first oil-change has been done along with the normal first service maintaince stuff(sp). The service was done at 718milestoday.. a little late : |. The dealer also installed frame sliders and swing arm protectors But I do have a question .... Unfortunately I went with the sliders that require cutting of the fairings ... do you think I should have the dealer leave it like whats shown in the pictures below or should I have them cut out a circle big enough for the whole slider to fit, revealing the frame behind the fairing? Thanks guys

Old 08-29-2007, 03:52 PM

bigger hole
if it goes down the flexing caused by the slider bending will crack your plastics bad

Old 08-29-2007, 03:55 PM

Great Point!! ..Thanks

Old 08-30-2007, 01:11 AM

Fresh oil will never be harmful to the bike. Break in lube...blah blah blah...oil is a lube and will surely take care of all that unwanted friction. Nothing wrong with a little preventative maintenance.