ahhhh... WTH!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ahhhh... WTH!

so i was riding to softball practice on my new bike when all of a sudden i hear this clacking sound coming from the back of my bike... at first i thought i had ran over something but after i got off it i found that my rear turn signals had fallen off!! [>:]... cuz i was still a newb to this whole bike thing i went and bought the undertail kit from the dealer and it had no place to mount the stock turn signals... so they cut two tabs into the license plate bracket, bent them back, drilled holes in them, and screwed on the turn signals... now i hafta bring it all the way back to the dealer and have them hack away till they get it right... what's worse is now i want a whole different undertail kit that i hafta pay for... WTH!!

Old 04-13-2006, 10:26 PM
Default RE: ahhhh... WTH!

you should invest in a DO IT YOURSELF book. you will save your self some cash. and if you get an undertail kit you should realy use something other than stock blinkers. just my .02$

Old 04-13-2006, 10:53 PM

Yeah get yourself a DIY book, lol hands on training is he best knowledge to have, just mt .98 cents shy of a dollars worth

Old 04-13-2006, 11:50 PM

no doubt... i wanna get to know my bike and was plannin to start doin work myself... i don't even wanna bring the bike back to let em mess wit it... juss curious but you guys do a lot of the work on your bikes yourselves?

Old 04-14-2006, 01:32 AM

Is the DIY book the Maintenance Manual?

Old 04-14-2006, 10:46 AM

Manuals are nice for getting torque specs and a general idea but I tend to find the Internet more useful. Whenever you have a prob or want to do work, google is your friend. Most likely some one esle has already had it, fixed it, and documented with nice pictures. Just my thoughts. If all else fails a post to your favorite forum generally does the trick. Haven't had any issues with my street bike, but this way of thinking has helped with dealing with my car and mx bike.

Old 04-14-2006, 09:20 PM
Retired Administrator

Most of us here do our own work. We don't trust the stealerships (not a typo) and you usually do better work on your own bike (if you do your homework before you start).

This forum is the DIY book. You should be able to find someone on here that's done or is planning to do the same things you're doing. Major engine repair or rebuild... you're on you own. That's above most of us here, but we can handle any installation of lights, exhausts, plastics, power commanders, speedo healers, oil changes, tire/wheel removal and so on. It's much cheaper to take the new tires and the wheel to a shop and have them just mount the rubber for you. You can take the tire off, but I wouldn't advise trying it, very hard and you can easily damage the wheel... I took my neighbors off today and helped him out.

Just ask and ye shall receive help

Old 04-14-2006, 11:01 PM

thanks for the advise... well soon as i recover from my encounter with the stealership imma start gettin some parts for the bike... hope i don't have too many questions cuz that'll juss mean that i'm not doin something right but it'll be a great way to learn

Old 04-14-2006, 11:18 PM

The DIY book can be purchased with a can of GOJO and getting your hands dirty. Anyway try this for starters if your new to maintenance of your bike dont take me wrong because im not making fun, check tire pressures then tire tread and always check the oil and coolant, i drive a truck for a living so a pre trip will never hurt, when confident tare it apart and do a oil change and if you get oil everywhere dont worry just make sure you got new oil in the motor, and fresh filter (hand tight only). Remember we all start from the bottom and learn as you go, its fun in the winter when you got a warm garage a fridge of beer and tare it apart for inspection and repairs. Hope this helps