After a full season on the '07 CBR - Impressions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 11:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: After a full season on the '07 CBR - Impressions?

Being on a Honda Forum, it's kinda hard to think you'll get many negative responses to "Do you like the 600RR". But, that being said, I've owned mine since March of this year (Got my hands on the first one that hit Oklahoma City), and I really do like it. I can't give you track info, but I'll be getting in some track days this year for sure. As far as a daily ride, I love it. The power is clean and smooth. I've got 4 sport-bikes to compare it to on the road that I either own, or have had a chance to ride at some length, and here's my thoughts on each.

'07 CBR (stock) vrs '05 Yamaha R6 (Slip-on and Geared, I think)
~ CBR has MUCH more midrange which comes in very handy on the streets.
~ Because of the way the R6 powerband kicked in, when it came on under full throttle, I had issues keeping the nose down. Power was very "Wait... wait... wait... UP goes the nose!" This is very decieving because in no way would it leave my CBR behind. (This could be due to gearing, I can't be sure) If Anything it was "fun", but would seem frustrating if I was using it in a track or race situation.
~ The R6 felt a little more top-heavy when trying to flick it back and forth.
~ Brakes seemed fairly similar.
~ Yamaha has no Steering Dampner

'07 CBR (stock) vrs '06/'07 Kawasaki Ninja 650r (stock)
~ 650r Has loads more "*****" down low. (Thanks to the v-twin)
~ 650r runs out of steam WAY before the CBR. Maximum redline is a 11K, CBR is at 15K. Power on the 650r peters off around 10K, CBR is just getting into the meat at 10K. Expect the 650r to pull on you in a race early, but you'll catch him when he has to shift, then it's game over from there on.
~ 650r is more comfortable to sit on. Big cushy seat, sit more upright, taller windscreen. Was easier on my body after a 4 hour one-way trip than my CBR, but both were managable.
~ CBR's suspension trumps the 650r's "sporty" suspension.
~ CBR feels more "nimble" when doing quick lane changes and weaving around obsticles.
~ 650r's rear brake feels alot stronger, front brakes are very similar and strong. (Kawasaki has the cool visual of "wave" rotors though)
~ 650r has no Steering Dampner

'07 CBR (stock) vrs 1992 Yamaha FZR 600 (Slip on)
(Not a really fair comparison, concidering the age and technology difference, but a few points are worth noting)
~ CBR's suspension SPANKS the Yamaha's squishy suspension.
~ Yamaha feels just as "side to side" nimble as my cbr on the streets, possibly due to the skinnier tires, even though it weighs more
~ The Yamaha is alot of fun to ride, but having 35hp less (new/stock) is noticble if you line them up or are used to really working the HP in a new CBR.
~ The yamaha provides more wind protection.
~ CBR feels more "planted" and solid.
~ CBR has far less "dive" when under heavy braking... CBR's front brakes feel much stronger with a much lighter touch. Yamaha still brakes fairly well, just takes more lever and pedal effort.
~ Yamaha has no Steering Dampner

'07 CBR (stock) vrs '05 Suzuki Katana 600
~ CBR feels like an actual Katana (as in the sword), Katana feels like you're wielding a dump-truck. The weight of the Katana is evident in everything you do.
~ CBR is more flickable, quicker, have to fight it less to lean it over from the word go
~ Katana has a very 'smooth' sounding motor, which was kinda neat
~ CBR's fuel injection > Carburation of the Katana
~ Katana has little to no low/midrange... and a decent, though lackluster top-end
~ Katana, even though you sit up more on it, isn't actually any more comfortable, to me, than the CBR. (I'm 6'2", 190 lbs)
~ The weight comes through on the Katana's braking ability and it feels sub-par to the CBR's.
~ Katana has no Steering Dampner

Anyways... there are my thoughts. Just my opinions on all of them from either owning them, or getting to spend some good time riding them around for whatever reason. (Barrowed th

Old 01-25-2008, 09:01 PM
Retired Moderator

Hey guys...I am trying to sell my F4i and move up to the '07 RR. Every 600 shootout I have read handed the trophy to the Honda. It wasn't even close. The '07 RR beat the crap out of every other machine it faced. I want one so bad! I was surprised at the riding possition, though. Much more compact than the F4i. I am sure I can get used to it. We'll see what happens.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:54 AM

Did you actually ride the '07 or just sit on it in the Showroom? I guarantee, (unless you are unusually large), that you will get used to its compact size. It feels "toy like", at first. But it's far from a toy. Trust me!
ORIGINAL: voodoochyl

Hey guys...I am trying to sell my F4i and move up to the '07 RR. Every 600 shootout I have read handed the trophy to the Honda. It wasn't even close. The '07 RR beat the crap out of every other machine it faced. I want one so bad! I was surprised at the riding possition, though. Much more compact than the F4i. I am sure I can get used to it. We'll see what happens.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:12 AM

love my 600RR... slipper clutch would be a nice addition though.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:13 AM
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: skical

Did you actually ride the '07 or just sit on it in the Showroom? I guarantee, (unless you are unusually large), that you will get used to its compact size. It feels "toy like", at first. But it's far from a toy. Trust me!
I just sat on it in the showroom. They won't let me do a test ride. It did feel really nimble and light...also seemed shorter than my F4i. I could sit flat footed. We'll see what happens...

Old 01-26-2008, 08:14 PM

It's not shorter than the f4i, the seat height is actually the sameI believe. It has the sensation of being shorter because the bike is more narrow and the seat is narrower. The smallness of the bike is actually really good when you get to riding it. It's short compact and narrow design makes agressive riding positions a lot more comfortble and all day rides on this thing are a breeze. I can put more miles in a day on this CBR than I did with my 05 VFR.