+/- 800 Mile Ride Next Week

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default +/- 800 Mile Ride Next Week

Hi guys. I'm taking the bike on about an 800 mile ride next week. Any extra gear or preperation you think I might need?

I have my leathers, boots, gloves, helmet. My awesome tank bag is no more since our tank covers are plastic. I was thinking of buying the tourmaster tail bag but it looks rather large.

I think I am just going to take my oversized backpack and bungee it to the back of the bike. No need to spend all of that money on bags.

Also, has anyone in here used those wrist saver things?

Thanks.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Default RE: +/- 800 Mile Ride Next Week

I took a 1600 mile round trip and had the Cramp Buster on the way home and it takes a bit to get used to..but i tell ya,,.those long stretches it really helps end wirst fatigue...and i had the Cortech Saddlebags and Cortech Tail..all worked wonders for getting 2 days worth of stuff there and back..make sure u hydrate at every fuel stop..it will keep your mind sharp..good luck...

Old 06-05-2007, 03:26 PM

ORIGINAL: CBRFREEK

I took a 1600 mile round trip and had the Cramp Buster on the way home and it takes a bit to get used to..but i tell ya,,.those long stretches it really helps end wirst fatigue...and i had the Cortech Saddlebags and Cortech Tail..all worked wonders for getting 2 days worth of stuff there and back..make sure u hydrate at every fuel stop..it will keep your mind sharp..good luck...
What is a "Cramp Buster??"

Old 06-05-2007, 03:51 PM

I did a 800 mile trip last weekend and it wasnt too bad. I just strapped my bag to the tail of my 06 600 rr with bungee straps and it rode great. The only other gear i probably would have taken is one of those camelbacks. The little water pouch things that go on your back. But other than that i think youre well covered. Also i would suggest a checkup/oil change on your bike.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:16 PM

Sounds like ya go everything lined up... I'd say if time is a issue, I'd plan some break time into it. As you go you will need longer rest & stretch breaks. Never used the wrist saver things... But have seen them.Hydrate like CBRFREEK said also...

Old 06-05-2007, 05:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bungeeing the bag on the back is the best option (aside from proper bags)... I know people often wear the backpack on their back... it's just a huge pain on a long ride. So you've got that right.

Stopping and stretching every so often will be good. I do this every gas tank, but if this is your first long ride stop more frequently. Once you have become sore it is too late - you have to keep yourself comfortable and prevent getting sore.

Sitting in one position will kill you - move around - ALOT. Don't sit in one position until your wrists/butt/back are sore. Sit up, lay down... if you keep moving no one part will get sore.

Don't ride into empty. Getting gas 40 miles early won't hurt your time much - getting gas 10 miles too late wastes a lot of time.

Stay hydrated.

Eat snacks - don't stuff yourself once in the day. You'll just end up running low on energy... then gorging and feeling lathargic after. If you bring a bag of heathy mixed stuff - fruits and grains - you can just eat and handfull or two at each stop. You'll never sugar crash, nor will you feel hungry or full.

Keep a good steady speed. Speeding makes you more tired, more likely to waste time (tickets), more gas stops and more likely to make a mistake at the end of the day.

If you are 600 miles in and tired. Stop. People start to do stupid things when they get tired. Speeding more and more, not noticing cars, not thinking of fuel, not remembering side stands... when you admit you are tired and pull over, you suddenly will feel just how 'road dazed' you have become. It is a bit spooky to realize you just rode 60miles and can't remember one detail. Not a good thing at all.

Sunglasses or tinted visors help with eye strain.

Ear plugs really really help reduce fatigue on longer rides.

I don't find my wrists get tired - but I'm 6' tall with longer arms. The important thing is to not put your body weight on your arms/wrists. I find a tank bag with soft clothing is a great way to ease the weight on your back/wrists/arms... if you find the right spot the windblast can support you as well. Just a position thing.

Have fun,
Keep us posted.

If you want to off-load a magnetic tank bag send me a pm. I might be interested

Woot.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:24 PM

Thanks for the advice. Did you have the Cortech bags on a CBR? They looked like they were too big for the bike. I was thinking of purchasing a set. Also, the water pak on the back, I was going to do that, but I thought it would make me way too hot. My suit has perferations on the back to, which I suppose are to let any air coming in the front go out the back, but not sure. Do you think I should take the pak on the back for hydration? I sweat like a pig and definatley need to hydrate well. BTW, the ride is actually 1560 round trip.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best place for the water bag is in a tank bag. No weight on your back, easy to reach the hose when you want a drink. The next best place is to put it on the tail. If you have a bungee mesh (3 hooks on either side, nice and stretchy, great for holding bags and strange shaped stuff on the tail) you can have it sit on top of what ever else you have loaded.

1560 miles - how many days? The best I've done in a day is still only 1000 miles territory... I've managed to do more than 1560 miles in less than 3 days but that's a pretty solid pace, especially for a first time. If this is your first long ride try to keep it down to 500-700 miles (still a serious day).

What might be a good plan is to start doing some practice days... Ride 200 miles away, ride 200 miles back, and then decide on whether to do another 200 miles the otherway and then back. Never more than 200 miles from home so it's pretty safe/easy.

I have used a number of bags... the last one I used was a 13L rubbermaid box. It is waterproof and fits well on the tail - with a bungee net a small stuff sleeping bag and a small tent fit on the tail of the bike. Combined with a tank bag you can pack food, enough clothes, and accomidation on. Sorry I'm a cheapskate!

Cortech - I'm looking into something along those lines... right now I'm trying to figure out how I can make my bike more kid friendly... so I might go with a corbin seat with a built in backrest/bag. Certainly not cheap option so I'm still planning.

Your mileage may varry as they say

Old 06-05-2007, 11:14 PM

Here is the trip:

I'm going to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway North from Stuart VA. Stuart is about an hour through the twisties using HWY 89 and 8 in NC up to Stuart. Once I get to the end of the Blue Ridge Parkway, I will take Skyline Drive through Shenandoah Valley. Once done with Skyline, I am going to head over to I-81 until Hagerstown, MD. Rest there for the night and then I-81 up to Scranton PA where I am going to Hwy-6 West for about 80 miles or so, then up through Elmira, NY and into Ithica for a few days and then back again. I probably will just shoot down I-81 on the way back unless I plan a totally different route back.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:07 PM

The Cortech looks big because they were packed but i tell ya what i was sure glad i had em.I got 3 pairs of jeans a slew of socks and skiv's not to mention a hoodie and a pair of sneakers a video camera all my chargers 2 sets of glovers and an unused rain suit...on mybike...i went from Illinois to NC.
Stopping and stretching every so often will be good. I do this every gas tank, but if this is your first long ride stop more frequently. Once you have become sore it is too late - you have to keep yourself comfortable and prevent getting sore.

Sitting in one position will kill you - move around - ALOT. Don't sit in one position until your wrists/butt/back are sore. Sit up, lay down... if you keep moving no one part will get sore.

Don't ride into empty. Getting gas 40 miles early won't hurt your time much - getting gas 10 miles too late wastes a lot of time.

Stay hydrated.

Eat snacks - don't stuff yourself once in the day. You'll just end up running low on energy... then gorging and feeling lathargic after. If you bring a bag of heathy mixed stuff - fruits and grains - you can just eat and handfull or two at each stop. You'll never sugar crash, nor will you feel hungry or full.

Keep a good steady speed. Speeding makes you more tired, more likely to waste time (tickets), more gas stops and more likely to make a mistake at the end of the day.

If you are 600 miles in and tired. Stop. People start to do stupid things when they get tired. Speeding more and more, not noticing cars, not thinking of fuel, not remembering side stands... when you admit you are tired and pull over, you suddenly will feel just how 'road dazed' you have become. It is a bit spooky to realize you just rode 60miles and can't remember one detail. Not a good thing at all.

Sunglasses or tinted visors help with eye strain.

Ear plugs really really help reduce fatigue on longer rides.

I don't find my wrists get tired - but I'm 6' tall with longer arms. The important thing is to not put your body weight on your arms/wrists. I find a tank bag with soft clothing is a great way to ease the weight on your back/wrists/arms... if you find the right spot the windblast can support you as well. Just a position thing.
All this is good info..especially the road daze.Its great to see the country on a bike but its more mental than driving a car and way more physical..do the 200 mile warmup...or do a 2 tanker...2 tanks one way then back...at any rate ..have fun...

Quick Reply: +/- 800 Mile Ride Next Week