2006 600RR - Offseason work time (recommendations, oil questions, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 07:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 600RR - Offseason work time (recommendations, oil questions, etc)

Ok guys, soon the winter season will set in here and I'll be done riding for a bit. I have a tribal orange 600RR and ready to do work on it and gain some power.

First question was on oil and filters. Does everyone feel going Amsoil and K&N on both air and oil filters are best?

After that question out of the way, what is a better path to start down when wanting to gain power? The only catch here is I do quite a bit of interstate driving. Budget issues are of no concern so bring on the ideas!!

Old 11-24-2010, 08:01 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wait till the season starts next year to put good oil in her. Otherwise all its going to do is sit in the oil pan during winter. If you don't have any plans to ride, some cheap dino oil from anywhere will work. I've looked into amsoil but finding it locally is a pain and I don't have the patience for waiting on delivery.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:02 AM
October 2011 ROTM

Many people will tell you that not changing the oil at the end of the season is a huge . They will give some scientific reason as to why that might sound good. Personally I don't think there is any harm in letting the bike sit in old oil. However I do change mine at the end of every season just so I don't have to worry about it come spring. I use Amsoil in my RR and F4i. All the studies out there show that Amsoil is the best so that is good enough for me.

You can never go wrong with a K&N filter. They are proven. I have also heard good things about BMC filters. Might want to do a little research to find out what one is good for you.

Now as far as power gain there is not too much you can do without tearing into the motor and putting a turbo on it. The basic mods will be a aftermarket exhaust, air filter and a PCIII. Even after you do all this I doubt there is going to a major difference in power where you're like holy crap. If you want more acceleration you can go -1 up front or -1 and +2 in back. If you change the front sprocket remember your speedo will be off so you should invest in a speedohealer to correct that. The change in sprockets is what will give you the most noticeable difference I think. However you said you do a lot of interstate riding. If you change the sprockets to -1 or -1/+2 you will cruise at a higher RPM.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:03 AM

You will open up a big ol' can of worms with the oil question .. its a good idea to change the oil out just because.. I personally don't want to wait for the last minute when its warm out to ride.. get it done and be ready to ride come spring .. " I live in New Mexico so our winters are shorter than most" and in terms of power.. ^^ R Dub pretty much hit it on the head with the BPU's that you can do and even then they wont really affect Torqe so much as your HP numbers at the higher RPM's.. unless your tracking the bike or riding like a jack *** all the time dont focus too much on all the power mods.. and if you do more than a exhaust ie K&N or BMC you will for sure need a PC to get the gains you would expect and even then IMO If I were you I'd take it to a tuner and have them make a custom map for your bike.. dont expect more than maybe 10 hp if that out of those three mods though.. otherwise you will be disipointed. Just another 0.02 from me.. the best mod you can do for increased performance and handling... is a gym membership.. losing ten pounds can do wonders to our bikes.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The acidity from the oil in a period of time will actually eat soft metal and wreck your cams and or crank bearings. Since gas does go in the oil slightly now this is what affects the oil in a long term period. I have always changed my oil or had fresher oil in my Mustang before storage. Obviously it must work since its on the original motor from 1969. By now most people have either spun a bearing or have had other issues. Mine is all good