2003 cbr600rr cant get it to start

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 05:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 cbr600rr cant get it to start

hello im new to the forum i signed up because ive had a problem with ,my 2003 honda cbr600rr f5 for about a month and a half now and i just cannot figure it out.
ok so beginning of winter i started a ground up rebuild,
what ive completed so far is..,.
new tires
new brake pads
new fairings
new aluminum radiator
exhaust wrap
new rearsets
new battery
new rad hoses
new clutch cable
new stator cover and gasket
new clutch cover and gasket
changed oil
LED headlights
integrated tail and front mirrors
new ignition switch
new spark plugs
new cylinder head gasket
performed a valve measurment and it was in spec so i never took the cams out only cylinder head came off and went right back on
so...before i started taking it apart it ran fine, started right away no issues. now i cannot get it started and ive tried everything.
so first things first, when i have kickstand down and turn on key and then kill switch to run i get the red light staying lit sometimes, other times i get 1 really quick blink right as the fuel pump stops priming, other times nthe light comes on as guages go through start up, then after fuel pump goes off liught goes off, and stays off.

i can crank the motor it sounds like its got plenty of power to turn over, when i attempt to start without using throttle all it does is crank. when i attempt to start using the flooded engine start procedure, it cranks for a sec and then it starts to run and coughs and sputters out before it ever really got running.

so ive checked every wire i can think of, ive literally torn the bike completly down now like 7 times thinking something might change maybe ill connect something i forgot etc....but nope. every time i get the same thing.

ive pulled all 4 plugs and they are each creating a spark. so check that box
i crank then immediately pull a plug and can see that yes indeed there is fuel entering the combustion chamber. check
ive tested the fuel cut relay
the bank angle sensor
the kill switch
the map sensor
the tps
all good...

im about to take it to the local powersports i just wanted to mybe get any last ideas before i gop drop another thousand on a 2003 that ive already put over 4 grand into,...

please help me somebody

Last edited by whizzbangg; 05-14-2021 at 05:38 AM.
Old 05-14-2021, 06:50 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

My first thoughts is something with the ignition switch. Try using the old one and see what happens. I don't know where you are, but UK bikes have coded keys and USA bikes have a diode that aftermarket switches don't seem to have.

Was there a sensor on the clutch cover? I've seen them get put on backwards when they get transferred over to the new part. They fit but with the offset, it won't line up with the exciter ring.

The following 2 users liked this post by 74demon:
IDoDirt (05-14-2021), whizzbangg (05-16-2021)