07 RR Stator Cover R&R -- please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 RR Stator Cover R&R -- please help

Well, I'm all healed up from my wreck w/just a few injuries that only time can heal.

I found a great deal on an 07 600RR. Only 100 miles!!!! The only problem is the very bottom of the stator cover is scraped up!![:@]Apparently the bike was being unloaded from a truck using ramps and the ramp scraped it.

My question is how hard is it to replace? I called the dealer and they said the cover is ~$60. I talked to a service writer at the same dealership and he said to make sure I drain the oil to make it less messy and make sure I replace the gasket. But the parts rep said there is no gasket listed?! The service guy also told me it'd be about $250 to have them replace it. I figured I'd do it myself. Anybody have any tips or knowledge on doing this? Or is it as easy/straightforward as it looks?

I'm guessing take off lower plastics, unbolt cover, remove stator from old cover, bolt it to the new one, replace gasket/clean mounting surface and reinstall. I heard the cover might be tough pulling off w/the strength of the magnet.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:52 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 07 RR Stator Cover R&R -- please help

I'm pretty sure the gasket they're talking about is just high-temp RTV sealant. I used to be deathly afraid of working on bikes.........but then I just figured that I'll just dive head deep into it and that the Honda shop manual will dig me out of any corners I paint myself into.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:00 AM

I believe you can go to the local parts store and get a tube of the blue sealant Blue Fox is talking about, the name is eluding me right now...it seals the cover and creates it's own gasket when it dries and then remove whatever extra oozes outside when you put the cover back on. Then run the bike in your driveway to make sure it sealed tight before riding on the road again.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:44 PM

Just touchup the paint and dont worry about it. You can get frame touch-up paint from the dealer. It's a perfect match. Still won't lookperfectand idk how it holds up to heat. It was powdercoated and the dealer will tell you they dont have touch-up paint for it. Make them check for "frame" touch-up and bingo, they'll order it for you. Exact match in color.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:36 PM

dude - its a cheap enough part and will look like **** if you touch it up - throw it out and buy another - its a simple bolt on part,

good luck.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:36 PM

RTV Silicone sealant is probably the stuff I would need. I talked to another dealership. $100 to have them fix it. That's what I'm going to do. Not worth the hassle/time/mess of doing it myself just to save about $50...thanks for the help guys. I'm picking her up Wednesday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!