HID's

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 06:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID's

What HID's does everyone recomend and how hard is the install?

Old 05-17-2007, 05:59 PM
Default RE: HID's

Tripage third eye on my bike. It was really easy to install. They have a kit thats "plug n play" its a really nice kit and it also comes with a new position light as well. The kit will run you about 194.00 though. The hardest part will be finding a place to hide the two ballast.

Old 05-17-2007, 06:09 PM

Where did you hide them? Details...

Old 05-18-2007, 06:42 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a whole write up on an HID installation......though, I have an extra step of hiding two igniters (which the kits don't use anymore.) The igniters are now built-into the ballast. (which is actually a bit more of a pain on our bikes.)

Check out the write up and let me know if you have any questions.

Here's the link:

https://cbrforum.com/m_230461/tm.htm

Old 05-21-2007, 03:34 PM

blue fox nailed that write up!

Old 03-10-2008, 05:31 PM

Here is my writeup: https://cbrforum.com/m_503775/mpage_.../tm.htm#504930

I do not recommend the kit. I installed a kit based on blue-foxes writeup, and the first picture on that writeup will show you just what kind of glare pattern it produced. The HID bulb is longer, and the position of the arc is different, so you end up throwing light in peoples faces, and risk a ticket.

Instead, use a projector from another vehicle. It takes a bit more work, because you have to mount the projector, but everything else is the same as the "kit"

Old 03-11-2008, 12:37 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ Did your headlamp displace the same pattern when you had a regular halogen installed? HID's do NOT change the beam pattern (unless they are the wrong bulb number/or installed incorrectly). HID's are only brighter.........that's it. If they are changing your beam pattern, you have the wrong bulb or your headlamp housing displaced that exact pattern with the halogen (and might have not noticed it until the brighter HID lamp was installed.)

I have numerous people a day PM me about the bulb displaying a scattered beam pattern. Each time I tell them to wipe off the bulb and re-install it, and to pay special attention to making sure it get's clipped into the headlamp housing correctly, it's always been a problem solved.

But I will also note that your bike is an older bike. Older headlamp lenses aren't anywhere near as good as newer headlamps today (excluding projectors, which are great headlamps I'll admit. But car manufacturer's have been using HID kits in regular headlamp housings for years.........way before the projectors took over.)

Old 03-11-2008, 03:42 PM

blue fox, I don't think you are listening to me. The H4 bulb is a pretty short bulb. The HID bulb is a full 3/4" longer. I also resent the idea that the bulb isn't seated correctly. I'm not an idiot. I've done all the work on my bike (except the carb clean/sync when I got it), and I did all the work on the last bike I owned. Clipping in a bulb and visually making sure it is seated correctly is pretty easy compared to swing arm replacements, pipe exchanges, plugs, etc. I triple checked my work.

Ok, with that said, I didn't take a picture of the stock on the F4 so if someone else can help out with this, that would be great. The kit was brighter, but it also wasn't a wider beam pattern (same reflector obviously). What was different besides the glare was the hot spots (very intense light in the center but not elsewhere). Ideally, the intense light spreads evenly. The reflector bowl on the newer bikes might be better engineered, but if you put a longer bulb in it, then it'll do the same thing.

I'd like to say that OEM's were not using aftermarket kits in their cars before. They were using OEM kits in their cars specifically tested for the reflectors they were putting them in (i.e., made to reflect a bulb of the correct length.

So finally, if you throw an aftermarket kit in the RR's and it looks good, then great, that's just not the result that I had. However, I'd like the pics of the cutoff against a wall to decide that it looks great. I don't think we disagree that the light is brighter on the HID's.