'05 Sprocket HELP PLEASE PLEASE :-)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 12:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 Sprocket HELP PLEASE PLEASE :-)

I just bought a 2005 Honda CBR 600RR (7400 miles). I love the dam thing and have had it for about 3 weeks and already put over 1000 miles on it, it now has 8800. I am a little bit of a speed demon andI also like to stunt a little bit. (I drift and drag race cars so it is only naturalI do the same with a bike) I am still new to terms and new to the 2-wheel side of engines but I am just starting to get into bikes and I want to make my CBR do a power wheelie in2nd gear while sitting.I am a little worried when standing on the bike and doing wheelies... (I don't have the stability thatI do whenI am sitting) 1st gear is easy just gas to ~15mph let off and then full throttle and upI go... I want that same "easyness" but less throttle response... hence the 2nd gear part... SOOOO how doI do this...

*** Keep in mind... I do ride on the highway a little bit so I WILL be changing out the sprokets for that so that isn't so important ***

What I know for sure:

- in the front (more accel)
+ in the back (more accel)
o-ring chains is a must... x-ring is even better
everyone says -1 front +2 rear
change it all at once for proper wear
-1 front = +2.77 back

What I want to know for sure:

why go with 520 size(lighter than the 525... but less stronger, for hard clutch dumps right???)
aluminium vs. steel sprockets (alum is ligther, steel last longer??)
WHAT BRAND OF STUFF!!!(I hear vortex is the 1 to get but thenI hear it's crap... .. BK chains??? please give me all feed back)
how much top speed loss and how much MPG loss (with the -1/+2 top speed is now 140... is whatI found, but not sure)
whats thetorque specs of the sprokets andsuch (axle and anything else I would have to take apart for changing)
*******and anything elseI ammissing*********

and lets sayI do do the -1/+2 and chain setup... cause you want to change it all at once, that runs me what ~170 bucks plus speedo... and ifI want to change to highway I have to change 2 sprokets to get the best fuel econ and not have the RPM's so dam high andnot listen to the engine so much... I cruise at 90-100mph and it's ~8k already... can't imagine even higher... Also now I wearing my chain wrong because I have old sprockets with new chain right?...

NOW HEAR ME OUT... why don'tI just go -2 in the front, basically -1/+3. Now allI have to do is switch out the front sprocket and be done for highway. It's only 1 sprocket. like 25 bucks plus speedo and it will make me do a power wheelie even easier cause it's more than a -1/+2. The new sprocket will wear faster but who gives, it's like 25 bucks rather than 200 and when everything goes on the bike I will be a better rider and get a nice expensive setup.

what am i missing... will a -2 mess up the chain even worse willI break something becauseI am not changing the back and front in sync? I am new butI want to learn everythingI can about this thing... For the most part I know how, because it's the same concept as a car, but I want to learn specifics so i do it right.

I know it's a long post, but I tried to be as accurate as possible and make it easy to answer questions because you know exactly what I want/do.

THANKS SO MUCH

Old 10-07-2008, 03:32 AM
Default RE: '05 Sprocket HELP PLEASE PLEASE :-)

DID gold chain X link is the best imo opinion and i have it. Vortex is for sure tight for sprockets. -1+2 is amazing wont hurt too bad, i get about 41 mpg. get a speedohealer to fix everything else. top speed is about 158-160 for me at least ( prob like 155 or so cuz of error) but who needs to go that fast.

you have to get a new chain so that the links fit into the teeth right, and if you go -2 in the front, your most likely going to snap your chain.. its dangerous, can flip your bike, break your leg, or whatever else.... dont do it. causes too much pressure on your chain or somethin like that.

i ve got 5000+miles on my set up and its still flawless. do it and never look back but gear up and be carefull stuntin man... no traffic wheelies pls.. thats enough of a rant, have fun

Old 10-07-2008, 12:57 PM

thx m8. yea I only really do wheelies on the roadI live on with full gear. my neighbors are young and cool so they don't care, as long as I don't die and i don't hit their cars and bikes

what about doing the 520 vs. 525 is the 520 able to hold up to the beating that a 525 can???

Old 10-07-2008, 02:41 PM
Retired Super Moderator

It's gonna stretch more, at least it did in my case. It's not made to hold up to the lash that wheelying causes, it's meant to have less rotating mass for racing. If i were you, i would stay with a 525.

-Adam

Old 10-07-2008, 03:23 PM

but it is true that an after market 520 will be stronger than the stock 525 right?? also the 520 is an x-ring sprocket and the stock is god know what lol...

Old 10-07-2008, 06:21 PM

no, the 525 still gonna be stronger and last longer than 520. for wheelies stay with 525
520. 525, 530 is how thick the chains are
never heard about x-ring sprocket, x-ring is type of chain, last longer

Old 10-08-2008, 04:40 PM

x ring chain.. idk if i said it wrong before.. thats what i meant. i have a DID gold x-ring chain 525. just copy my set up

Old 10-08-2008, 08:43 PM
Default RE: '

the -2 in front is going to cause the CHAIN to wear faster. because it has to flex more to wrap around the smaller sprocket.

and no offense to Skitzo, but i believe he is wrong about the "too much torque" Technically you are correct. a -2 front should be about equal to a -1/+2 (going on the concept that a -1 is equal to a +3 in the rear) which also means it is the same as going +6 in the rear. so going along those lines, a -2 is almost incalculably different than a 1-/+2.

if you are intending to stunt semi regularly, stick with a 525. the 520's are for trackies.