05 cbr600rr randomly cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 02:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 cbr600rr randomly cutting out

Hi everyone, hoping someone can help with this. I've had the bike about 4 months now and recently it has started to cut out randomly. All the dash lights will go out and then back on and the engine will restart itself most of the time. It does it when the bike is in neutral and in gear. I was thinking electrical fault/loose connection somewhere. But I'm not really sure where to start?

Not sure if this is related but the bike has flush mounted front indicators and the right side blinks a lot faster than the left ?

I have a track day coming up and really don't want it dying half way through a corner ... any help/advice would be appreciated, thanks

Old 08-21-2019, 12:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

First impressions - you'll really want to take a look at the wiring on those signals. Sounds like a bad splice or common ground burned off. You're gonna need to get a look at the wires surrounding any custom electrical work. Look for fresh electrical tape, or for differently sized wires. Blinking LEDs are a sign of a bad relay or turn signal resistor. If it's a cheap kit, it may not have onboard resistors, and it may be wired up incorrectly

It could also be a bad killswitch. It's easier to troubleshoot and also worth checking out

Either way, it definitely sounds like electrical. Noone likes dealing with electrical, but if you can find the problem it'll be solveable

Good luck

Old 08-24-2019, 08:56 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry I cant help out but if you do end up finding the solution could you post it?

My brothers rr does the same thing, not a great thing when your leaned over in a corner and the bike dies.
He hasn't been able to track down the issue either, just randomly dies for a few seconds and usually restarts when the dash comes back.

His has done it almost since new. Can do it a few times a ride or once over the course of a month .
Which to me really does suggest a ground / shorting issue with how random it is.

For the record, his is fully stock no gadgets or after market lights.

Old 08-24-2019, 04:13 PM

I traced the problem to a broken wire from the ignition switch, if anyone else has this problem where your losing all power on the bike (engine & everything on the dash) it will almost certainly be down to the ignition.
I stripped the ignition switch from the bike and tested continuity through all cables and found a break.

I then soldered new wires onto the back of the switch and and made up a new plug to connect onto the wiring harness. Vigorously tested with fairing off after repair, and been on two decent rides out and all is good.

Hope this helps with anyone else who has similar problems.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:05 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey man glad you got it sorted,

And thanks for updating. makes the post helpful for anyone in the future with the same problem.

I'll pass this info along to my brother his symptoms were pretty much identical hopefully that turns out to be his issue as well.

Last edited by F4i4ever; 08-25-2019 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:47 AM

I just had a similar issue with my '08; the headlight was cutting out occasionally. Jiggled the wires from the engine switch and it would come back on. Eventually the light wouldn't come on and the bike wouldn't start.

Traced the problem to the quick connector (larger grey one) from the wiring harness to the ignition switch. When diagnosing/testing, found the blue with white wire was getting hot (bad scene).

The culprit was the female side of the quick connect. A little tab suppose to make the connection secure had broken off in there and I suspect was making an intermittent connection and maybe causing a short or creating too much resistance.

Anyway, took out the little spring tab, gave the female connector a little pinch with the pliers, reinserted into quick connect and all appears to work so far.