03 600rr turns off when hot!!Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 05:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a new battery thinking that it was my problem also..... same result with the new battery.. i have since replaced my stator, regulator,starter and starter solenoid.. still no luck
wow, OSPEEDO yours is a little worse i think.. mines never done anything bad while riding. I can ride to work which is about 16 miles from home and its fine.. unless i shut it off then im stuck til it cools down

Old 06-24-2009, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by agent orange
I bought a new battery thinking that it was my problem also..... same result with the new battery.. i have since replaced my stator, regulator,starter and starter solenoid.. still no luck
wow, OSPEEDO yours is a little worse i think.. mines never done anything bad while riding. I can ride to work which is about 16 miles from home and its fine.. unless i shut it off then im stuck til it cools down
I told you not to buy the battery, shesh.... but then again I thought it was the stator or R/R too

Old 06-24-2009, 11:30 AM

Im pretty sure it going to end up being some little insignificant thing that is causing all this.. Thanks for the heads up agent orange!! save me some cash definitely!! I was going to go out and buy a new battery this weekend but now im not!

OSPEEDO, I also dont have as severe of a problem as yours.. I can ride as much as i want on freeways, the problem is when i get onto the streets and the bike get hotter-then once i shut off "im stuck for a while." Sometimes(if im lucky) it will start up slowly, but will start.. Nonetheless, its a pain in the a$$!!!

Old 06-24-2009, 11:34 AM

its the fan. your fan is not working and not cooling the engine. the motor will not start until the engine has cooled to the safe temp. check your fan and all connection like fuse for the fan and the wires going to it

Old 06-24-2009, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by philthethrillohio
its the fan. your fan is not working and not cooling the engine. the motor will not start until the engine has cooled to the safe temp. check your fan and all connection like fuse for the fan and the wires going to it
I dont think so, I doubt the fan has anything to do with it, except if when the fan goes to kick on at 220F it's shorting out the entire system

the only way your bike is going to shut off after reaching an unsafe temp. is if it blows it up or causes severe damage

EDIT: he did say the fan kicked on

Last edited by volcomrr; 06-24-2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:57 AM

Same problem here on my '03 RR.. It happened to me on a freeway, it turns off and I needed to wait for about 30mins for it to cool off then start again.. Now, I am hesitant to travel for more than an hour, even on highways... my fan usuallys spins at 222F (106C) which I think is normal, correct me..

Not sure if you also heard about the '03 rectifier issue. The rectifier's design and position (facing the exhaust) causes it to malfunction under extreme temp. The suggestion is to buy the '05 rectifier (include the mounting bracket). I have not tried this yet so if anyone did, let me know.. :-)

I've also thought of flushing out the coolant from the radiator and replacing them, or maybe have the fuel filter cleaned...I am also wondering if openning the throttle a bit much(riding hard) causes problems .. I really don't know...

Old 06-26-2009, 05:26 AM

The other day I tried to switch gears at a lower RPM to delay the process of the bike getting HOT. It did work for a while but it is not a solution (since you are bound to get stuck in traffic at one point or another).

My fan does kick in. Someone mentioned to me that the fan might be drawing alot of power, which in turn would put a drag on the strator and that could affect my throttle.

At this point, I am a bit lost. I want to check the fan to see if it is drawing too much power. I'll have to do some research on that. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 06-26-2009, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by blueferret15
Same problem here on my '03 RR.. It happened to me on a freeway, it turns off and I needed to wait for about 30mins for it to cool off then start again.. Now, I am hesitant to travel for more than an hour, even on highways... my fan usuallys spins at 222F (106C) which I think is normal, correct me..

Not sure if you also heard about the '03 rectifier issue. The rectifier's design and position (facing the exhaust) causes it to malfunction under extreme temp. The suggestion is to buy the '05 rectifier (include the mounting bracket). I have not tried this yet so if anyone did, let me know.. :-)

I've also thought of flushing out the coolant from the radiator and replacing them, or maybe have the fuel filter cleaned...I am also wondering if openning the throttle a bit much(riding hard) causes problems .. I really don't know...
I'm having the same problems, 05 600RR, except mine doesn't shut off when it gets hot. It won't restart well after you turn it off and try to restart it a few minutes later, as if you stopped to refuel.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:46 AM

it may be the coils getting hot and shorting themselves out.and once they cool and contract a little you can restart the bike. i had that problem on my old F3.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by white_knuckled08
it may be the coils getting hot and shorting themselves out.and once they cool and contract a little you can restart the bike. i had that problem on my old F3.
Yeah, ignition coil right? It also crossed my mind.. Were you able to fix the prob?

BTW, I got home from a 30-45min street ride from office today. I could remember reaching 220F before I got home and turn off the engine. About 30mins later, I tried to restart twice but it won't. The 3rd time, a strange sound (resembling a gun shot) came out from the exhaust then the engine started normally. Any of you encounter the same thing?

Quick Reply: 03 600rr turns off when hot!!Help!!!