03 600rr turns off when hot!!Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 08:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 600rr turns off when hot!!Help!!!

Hey Fellas!! im new to this forum and i got some questions..I just bought an 03 cbr600rr a few weeks ago..sweet ride..i have one problem.. When i ride it too much on the streets and it gets hot(about 220-225) it will turn off and not want to start anymore.. It seems like the battery has gone dead but once i let it cool down a bit it starts right up.. Could my HIDs have something to do with it?

Old 06-18-2009, 09:15 PM
Banned

First off, welcome to the forum. Glad your riding, the best bike ever..PAH! ( I just watched step brothers...)

Ok, so...... your bike over heats, and shuts off. Does the fan turn on at all? Is your rad full of fluid? Have you checked any of the fluids when you $$ it. Think about it, it gets hot, it turns off, when it cools down, it turns on........and you think HID have something to do with it???? Why would the battery have anything to do with the cooling system, if, after the engine cools down, it starts up again.

Check you fluids.........check the manual......get back to us.

If you dont have fluid....look in your manual, it will tell you what to do. If the fan doesnt kick in...check the manual, could be a blown fuse...or go to bike shop.. Do you drive a car??? Its like the same thing....change oil, check fluids, lube things...check fuses...if you don't have a manual, do a search here, there's some dl link in a post somewheres-es...

Hope that helps!

Old 06-19-2009, 01:23 PM
Banned

I think its got to be something with the fan. Im curious to know the problem, let us know how it goes!

Old 06-19-2009, 04:09 PM

thanks for the reply and sorry about the confusion.. the reason why i think it could have something to do with the battery or electrical system is because when it goes out the battery seems to be dead. It cranks as if it has no power and the lights and gauges go dead.. Like you said though two seperate systems but im just wondering if there may be a sensor or something that is faulting out when the bike gets a lil hot...IDK im just throwing ideas out to c if any make sense.

also, it usually doesnt just turn off on its own but if i turn it off while hot and try to restart it wont anymore..

BTW This isnt my first bike , so i know a bit about them.. First HONDA though..

The fan turns on, thats what has me baffled...

Let me know what you think!!

Old 06-19-2009, 04:30 PM
Default welcome my world

I know you have a 600rr but i have the exact same problem on my F4i.. and i mean exact.. if you shut it off once the temps get up to anything over 200 degrees it will not start. the lights on the dash dim and the starter will not kick over as if the battery is dead.. but let it sit and cool down to like 150 and it starts like there's nothing wrong.. well let me save you some cash. its not the stator,starter,regulator,coils or the starter solenoid.. i replaced all those things and i still have the same problem.. believe me it sucks unless i'm going somewhere that i know i'm gonna be for at least 45 mins to an hour.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:33 PM

by the way .. I've been chasing this problem for the last 8 months now and haven't been able to find anyone that's even heard of it.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:21 PM

I know what you mean! I cant go to bike nights cuz at one of those frequent stops Im scared that the bike is not going to work anymore..Well If i find the solution ill let you know.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:01 PM

yup.. it suks big time... i only ride when i know where ever im going to is where im gonna stay for atleast an hour.. well if you find out anything let me know and ill do the same thing

Old 06-22-2009, 03:19 PM

sounds like battery........ i had a similar problem on my 1000 and that was it it had a dead cell so when the bike got hot it in turn made the battery hot then it didnt have enough cranking amps to start the bike i went to a gel filled battery it seems to take the abuse better

Old 06-22-2009, 05:30 PM

I have a 2000 F4 and I have been experiencing the EXACT same problem recently.

After the fan kicks in a couple of times, the bike has trouble accelerating (almost to a point where it is about to shut off) and sometimes it does shut off. After waiting a few mins, it starts back up.

Also, in my case, the problem usually occurs when the bike gets hot. Its not always dependant on the duration of the ride.

Based on the research so far, I thought it was the rectifier. Now i'm thinking its either the battery or the fan.

I'm going to try this tomorrow and see if it helps to eliminate the battery + regulator as potential problems:
https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-stickies-106/how-diagnose-charging-system-51691/ - Agent, CBR: have you tried this?

Last edited by 0speed0; 06-22-2009 at 05:58 PM.

Quick Reply: 03 600rr turns off when hot!!Help!!!