CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Wrecking my brain!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 07:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrecking my brain!!!!!

2000 CBR F4. One day the bike started dieing while riding.. Thought 2 things.. Fuel Pump or Carbs.. Welp it was fuel pump. Replaced that, but now no spark to spark plugs. Pull out spark plug 1 and place it to engine and hit ignition.. Nothing.. I am running NGKE9-IX spark plugs. None of my plugs are firing. I purchase a new CDI and slam it in there thinking Im gonna be riding later on taoday.. BOY AM I WRONG.. Still no spark. Im thinking hte puls thing inside the engine, or a bad connection somewhere. Any Ideas.. ANY.. My bike just got sprayed, brand spankin new tired, and a chrome swing arm is in the main.. I wanna put my baby on the road.. ANT IDEAS. ANY...

Old 05-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check for a bad ground at the Neutral indicator switch, have you checked your fuses.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:02 PM

All fuses have been checked.. I will try to describe this the best way possible.
No spark plug is getting a spark. The neutral indicator switch on the dash is lit. The gas tank is off and the battery is holding a strong charge. The Run switch is on and it cranks with power, but no spark to the plugs. I just put in new plugs and the plugs are still are a nice pretty white. No sign of any type of burn. I pulled the CDI out and installed a new one. Im not sure how to check if the CDI is bad. The fuel pump spits fuel like a champ also. I know its an electrical problem I am having. I looked into the manual and am, trying to figure what could be going bad with this. The Pulse Genertator is connected. I disconnected it and hooked a multi meter to it to see if there was any power coming from it when I crank... Can any one give me any ideas on what and where to test this massive beast. I am ready to pull my throttle and make this bad boy roll.
Can this be an internal issue. I looked at the specs of the F4 manual and see how the Bat run to the starter, key, fuses, spark plug wires, and then to the CDI.. plus there are other sensor. can anyone give me a good place to start.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:18 AM

I'd bet my right nut that either the pulse generator or the timing rotor is bad. This is a low voltage hall effect sensor, not 12v. You need a meter with peak capability. The yellow wire is the pulse input to the ICM. Should see a peak voltage of .7v. The engine needs to be cranking at normal speed to acheive this also.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:45 PM

OK.. I just stripped the bike down of all fairings. I got some more info I see I didnt add. While cranking the bike over it seemed to get stuck on a crank. I let go of the started button and the tried again.. It seemed to have turned half way and then again stuck.. I pressed it one more time and I heard a small pop sound and then it cranks again. I really didnt think anything of it, but maybe I should have... OK I am watching two parts on Ebay.. An Adjustable Timing Rotor ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AA-99...4506.m20.l1116 ) and a pules generator (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-F4...4506.m20.l1116 ) .

Quick questions. How would I know if my muti has a peak tester? , and if you could bet your left nut.. which part would you say to purchase?

Old 05-05-2009, 06:56 PM

The meter has a peak setting if it says "min/max" that way you see the maximum voltage that you got during the measurement, it's usually too quick to watch on the screen but min/max will pick it up. most good multis have them (fluke, snap on, etc.)

Old 05-06-2009, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by DDMGraphix
and if you could bet your left nut.. which part would you say to purchase?
I'de bet half my left nut on the rotor and the other half on the pulser! Tough to say. You could pull the cover off and take a look. Maybe the problem would jump out and land in your lap!

Old 05-06-2009, 10:24 PM

Why haven't coil packs been checked/mentioned?

Old 05-07-2009, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by f3BikeR
Why haven't coil packs been checked/mentioned?
I would say since none of them are firing that it's highly unlikely that all four are bad.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:23 PM

Today I pulled both sides of the engine cover off. I looked at the pulse meter that was mentioned. I am wondering if I should go ahead and change that out to begin with. I have changed almost every part out except pulse and timing rotor. What is weird is that teh timing rotor is not mentioned in the manual as a part of the ignition system. So I am wondering if I should change the pulse first or the rotor.. I think Im gonna try the pulse 1st. Here we go.. Making one new order on Ebay..

Quick Reply: Wrecking my brain!!!!!