CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Winter F4 Mod log

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter F4 Mod log

Okay i decided to take a page out of CJardine's book and create a log of the mods that should be beginning within the next couple of weeks. This thread is to show the conversion of my bike from start to finish and also to get a few pointers in case i run into some snags ( with my luck ill run into a few snags ) Okay so here is my list.

Things Im definitely doing
-Dual Light Conversion (Completed)
-f4i Speedo conversion (Completed)
-New fairings (Completed)
-Rims Powedercoated to match new fairings ( Completed)
-Iridium spark plugs
-new grips and levers (match whatever color i go with) (Completed)
-carb cleaning (Completed)
-general maintenance (Completed)
-integrated tail light [BCompleted[/B]
-HID kit (Completed)
-Passenger footpeg turn signals (In Progress)

Things Im Considering
-Split seat conversion ( Waiting for summer)
-heavy duty clutch springs ( i replaced the clutch in Aug. but not the springs)

I may add more to this list in the future.

Here are some pics of my bike. The pick with the seven stars crap is the current condition of my bike. The OEM side fairing ripped off on the highway and i almost fell at 65mph so i replaced them with some backups that i had.
I will add more picks at I begin to tear crap down and work on it.

BEFORE

This was after the fairings ripped off on the highway

AFTER

Name:  IMAG0804.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  98.0 KB
Name:  528242_2977761049098_1803798842_n.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  66.6 KB
Name:  552967_2977757809017_1414020016_32579793_1679891437_n.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  62.1 KB

Last edited by ddavis17; 03-29-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:44 PM

The new Speedo

Just started pulling everything off to get ready for the conversion

Last edited by ddavis17; 01-26-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:56 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

-New fairings (Possibly White)
-Iridium spark plugs

You should definitely do the split seat!! I love it so much. You might even be able to swap tails with bikes other than the F4i. It would be pretty cool to see a rr tail or something else.

I just got renthal grips, I love them and the wear seems to be pretty consistent with other grips; they just don't match :S

I got a Pimpbike undertail for the F4i, the fitment was great and sanding /painting it was a snap as well. just remember to seal the inside of any fiberglass on your bike it will last longer and is stronger.

I put in ngk's iridiums and my bike seems to really enjoy them but when i pulled mine I had almost no fouling on them so I guess I'm lucky.

I have heard great things about cbrfairings Ive ordered from them the shipping was mixed up and they agreed; actually offered to send a new set to me once they received the other fairings. I re-ordered another set however they have yet to arrive

Other than that Im excited to see how your bike turns out!! And I'm honored I inspired you to work on your bike. . . Oh and I think you should wrap your tank in CF

Old 01-26-2012, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by CJardine
-New fairings (Possibly White)
-Iridium spark plugs

You should definitely do the split seat!! I love it so much. You might even be able to swap tails with bikes other than the F4i. It would be pretty cool to see a rr tail or something else.

I just got renthal grips, I love them and the wear seems to be pretty consistent with other grips; they just don't match :S

I got a Pimpbike undertail for the F4i, the fitment was great and sanding /painting it was a snap as well. just remember to seal the inside of any fiberglass on your bike it will last longer and is stronger.

I put in ngk's iridiums and my bike seems to really enjoy them but when i pulled mine I had almost no fouling on them so I guess I'm lucky.

I have heard great things about cbrfairings Ive ordered from them the shipping was mixed up and they agreed; actually offered to send a new set to me once they received the other fairings. I re-ordered another set however they have yet to arrive

Other than that Im excited to see how your bike turns out!! And I'm honored I inspired you to work on your bike. . . Oh and I think you should wrap your tank in CF
Where did you get the carbon fiber from that you used to wrap your tank? Also i really want to do the split seat conversion but it really depends on how able i am to get the parts. If i cant get all the parts im going to just postpone it until i collect everything. I was looking at 3 sites to order fairngs from either auctmarts, cbrfairings, or customcyclepros. Im torn in between getting white fairings or these http://www.auctmarts.com/auctmarts1/1/g/22/IMG_9627.JPG.
right now im foocusing on the front end and trying to find the proper relays in order for the high and low beam to work properly with the dual lights.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:14 AM

Okay so i just finished temporarily wiring up the digital gauges, unitl i get my OEM connectors is (thanks gotcbr you are a fountain of knowledge), and it looks good. Im ordering my f4i headlights to do the dual light conversion next week and i have been researching about how to hook them up so that that function properly. I read that i need a relay but i keep seeing different things, one guy said use an f4i headlight relay and i read somewhere else to use a 900rr relay which do i use? Also should i wire it to the f4's harness or should i just get an f4i harness and wire it to the f4 harness and how would i go about doing that. Just want to get these questions answered now before i actually get started so im not going crazy. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:32 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

Originally Posted by ddavis17
Where did you get the carbon fiber from that you used to wrap your tank?

Also i really want to do the split seat conversion but it really depends on how able i am to get the parts.

I was looking at 3 sites to order fairngs from either auctmarts, cbrfairings, or customcyclepros.
Got my CF from elitemotoring on ebay, they have good pricing and great shipping.

I highly recommend the split seat; and if you hold off all you have to hold off on is the fairings.

Ive heard great things about cbrfairings and they are taking great care of me. Auctmart has ok fitment and haven't gotten anything good about nicecycle or custom cyclepro.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by CJardine
Got my CF from elitemotoring on ebay, they have good pricing and great shipping.

I highly recommend the split seat; and if you hold off all you have to hold off on is the fairings.

Ive heard great things about cbrfairings and they are taking great care of me. Auctmart has ok fitment and haven't gotten anything good about nicecycle or custom cyclepro.
I guess ill be getting my stuff from cbrfairings then lol. I want to do the split seat but i think im gonna just hold off until the summer. I still have to get my truck manifold and exhaust fixed lol (muffler fell off and have a cracked manifold). So i think im gonna holdoff on the conversion for now. Im still going to do the front end and the paint though. Also after i sat on an 01f4i for a while the seats arent as comfortable as my f4 seat is and i ride a lot LOL. Ill just hold off untill i gather everything for it so i can do it all at one time.

Here's a pic of my guages being tested

I didnt connect the f4i upperstay to the bike yet LOL

Old 01-28-2012, 08:08 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

...thanks gotcbr you are a fountain of knowledge...
You're very welcome. Glad to help.

I really enjoy these mod logs. Good to see both you & CJardine jumping right in to put the bike the way you want it. Good stuff.

...to do the dual light conversion...how to hook them up so that that function properly. I read that i need a relay but i keep seeing different things, one guy said use an f4i headlight relay and i read somewhere else to use a 900rr relay which do i use? Also should i wire it to the f4's harness or should i just get an f4i harness and wire it to the f4 harness and how would i go about doing that. Just want to get these questions answered now before i actually get started so im not going crazy. Thanks in advance.
Its been done both ways. Either way, it will require a little work...
*If you can find a F4i front harness section, use the F4i relay.
*If you are wiring to your F4 harness, use the 900RR relay.

Don't have access to my links at the moment but other F4 members have done the headlight/gauge conversion & there are threads here on it. You should be able to find a few links to those.

...I want to do the split seat but i think im gonna just hold off until the summer...after i sat on an 01f4i for a while the seats arent as comfortable as my f4 seat is and i ride a lot LOL. Ill just hold off untill i gather everything for it so i can do it all at one time...
It sure isn't for the lack of us trying to get you to do the split-seat conversion. ;-) Once you do it, you'll be surprised at how easy it really is to do.

As for comfort, that's certainly an individual thing. Its a matter of perspective I guess. I'm all over the bike in the twisties & on the track, & want to be able to move off the seat easier. W/ the split-seat, I'm able to do that better b/c of the dif contours of the split-seat vs the banana seat.

The split-seat is narrower at the tank & isn't as rounded as the banana seat. Thus the nickname of the split-seat to some as "the plank". ;-) That moniker is certainly true to some degree if all you're ever doing is basic street riding or touring. But, if you're aggressive in the twisties & ride track, the split-seat is a plus IMHO for getting better body position. I've ridden track w/ both the banana seat & the split seat. The split-seat just gives a better feel of a proper track bike & makes it the way I need it for body adjustment in the turns.

That track bike feel & ease of movement on the seat was my motivation for doing the conversion. I've been very happy w/ it. Plus, it just looks good. ;-)

Old 01-28-2012, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by gotcbr
You're very welcome. Glad to help.

I really enjoy these mod logs. Good to see both you & CJardine jumping right in to put the bike the way you want it. Good stuff.

Its been done both ways. Either way, it will require a little work...
*If you can find a F4i front harness section, use the F4i relay.
*If you are wiring to your F4 harness, use the 900RR relay.

Don't have access to my links at the moment but other F4 members have done the headlight/gauge conversion & there are threads here on it. You should be able to find a few links to those.

It sure isn't for the lack of us trying to get you to do the split-seat conversion. ;-) Once you do it, you'll be surprised at how easy it really is to do.

As for comfort, that's certainly an individual thing. Its a matter of perspective I guess. I'm all over the bike in the twisties & on the track, & want to be able to move off the seat easier. W/ the split-seat, I'm able to do that better b/c of the dif contours of the split-seat vs the banana seat.

The split-seat is narrower at the tank & isn't as rounded as the banana seat. Thus the nickname of the split-seat to some as "the plank". ;-) That moniker is certainly true to some degree if all you're ever doing is basic street riding or touring. But, if you're aggressive in the twisties & ride track, the split-seat is a plus IMHO for getting better body position. I've ridden track w/ both the banana seat & the split seat. The split-seat just gives a better feel of a proper track bike & makes it the way I need it for body adjustment in the turns.

That track bike feel & ease of movement on the seat was my motivation for doing the conversion. I've been very happy w/ it. Plus, it just looks good. ;-)
Ok cool i think im going to buy the 900rr relay since im already messing around with the harness on the f4.What year 900rr 98-99? Also after i get an estimate on how much it will cost to fix this truck thats when im going to figure out if im doing the dual seat right away or not. Because it does look beautiful and i really want to do it but i also need to fix this loud *** truck LOL. If anything ill probably just do the conversion is a couple of months and order an unpainted tail so my cousin can paint it to match the bike for me. Its all going to be white so it shouldn't be too bad i hope.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:26 PM

Does anyone know if i need to order f4i ram air ducts or if they would even fit on the f4? Since im changing to the f4i front end i was just wondering if i have to modify my f4 air ducts because the two airboxes are different.

Quick Reply: Winter F4 Mod log