CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Will an f4i headlight harness plug straight into an f4 plug?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 06:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will an f4i headlight harness plug straight into an f4 plug?

I was wondering if I could take a headlight harness from an f4i and plug it DIRECTLY into my f4 headlight plug? Will it work properly? Are the plugs the same?

Old 12-27-2010, 03:49 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would assume no.. since the F4i has 2 H7 bulbs and the 4 has a single H4

Old 12-28-2010, 03:22 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You need to rewire your F4 wiring harness for the dual light setup. You'll need the F4i headlight relay & the output plug for the second light.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a diagram or picture of how the harness should look?

Old 12-29-2010, 12:25 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wiring diagrams are available in the shop manuals. There are links on the forum to the manuals if you don't have them. Also, the Clymer manual 1999-2003 has diagrams of both the F4 & F4i wiring...& it shows the headlight relay difference btwn the two models.

Sorry, no pics. Although, I have actually seen this done in-person. So, I know it can be done & has been done. There are members on the forum here that have done it as well. Do as many searches as you can here to find those members that have done it & ask them for their assistance...as some may not check the forum that often any more to see your thread.

From my recollection, there are basically two ways you can do this... (1) you can piggyback the wiring from your single to the second dual light that the F4i lights have (naturally, you'll need the plug going to the second light). However, you have to realize that you'll be increasing the load on that existing single light wiring & what can result from that...also, most likely, you won't be able to control low/high beam operation...it will remain either low or high beam all the time...or...(2) as I suggested in my original reply, that is, to wire in the second light plug & relay from an F4i wiring harness. The latter is what I'd do unless a better option is presented to me.

I realized as I wrote this that a weak link in this is the factory original r/r. The increased use could certainly overload it & burn it up. So, be aware that you should upgrade to the newer finned factory version that superseded the older version. It would behoove you to do this anyway. (I've written extensively on this, search for my posts on this.)

I know this isn't exactly the how-to/show-all you are looking for but I believe it will point you in the right direction. I did a quick search & was reminded of an impressive conversion job that "Mikebluep5" did on his F4. He did the complete F4 to F4i conversion.. His bike is pictured on the F4 pic thread on pg29... https://cbrforum.com/forum/showthrea...=65863&page=29 . He has many pics in his post & shows his new F4i lights working. He also has the F4i gauges.

If there is a complete descriptive how-to F4 to F4i dual light conversion on the forum, I'm not aware of where it is. Not to say that one doesn't exist but I couldn't find it. So, it would be great if you do the conversion if you could document it & share it w/ us.

Hope this helps some.