CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Vibrations in the rev range

Old 07-29-2013, 07:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibrations in the rev range

Hi, I'm new here but have owned my CBR600F4 for just over a year now. Generally its been a really great bike, I've spent time servicing/adding parts myself and can say that Honda's are great to work on!

I've come across an issue I haven't been able to fix and was hoping someone here would have advice.

Basically the engine vibes within the 5-6k rev range (More specifically 5.4 - 6k). It's 100% the engine causing this (I've tried many different things to check it isn't wheel/steering balance).

Could this be carb balance? A loose engine mount? I don't want to invest time/money into a fix before getting some advice. Any help is appreciated

Thanks, Tom.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:05 PM

Hi,

I've only had my CBR for around 3 months and have had strange sounds and vibes too which seemed to have been pinpointed to the stainless steel exhaust that is fitted.

I thought at first could be CCT or exhaust leak on headers

Could you be getting something similar to my problem?

I have heard Fryup2000's recent bike video and that too has some rasping type sounds around the 5k mark so it appears it could be a characteristic
of the CBR600 F4

If you are describing feeling vibration through the handlebars at those revs then it could also be a bar end weight problem, In fact my mechanic asked me if I had such a problem as he gets it a little bit on his Honda Blackbird
which has aftermarket straight bars on.

If you haven't yet I'd try different bar end weights as I know my bike came with aftermarket stainless type and that side of the bike feels fine to me.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Black'n'Yellow
Hi,

I've only had my CBR for around 3 months and have had strange sounds and vibes too which seemed to have been pinpointed to the stainless steel exhaust that is fitted.

I thought at first could be CCT or exhaust leak on headers

Could you be getting something similar to my problem?

I have heard Fryup2000's recent bike video and that too has some rasping type sounds around the 5k mark so it appears it could be a characteristic
of the CBR600 F4

If you are describing feeling vibration through the handlebars at those revs then it could also be a bar end weight problem, In fact my mechanic asked me if I had such a problem as he gets it a little bit on his Honda Blackbird
which has aftermarket straight bars on.

If you haven't yet I'd try different bar end weights as I know my bike came with aftermarket stainless type and that side of the bike feels fine to me.
+1 on all this!

Take a video and upload it here and we can get a better idea... from what you decribe it could be a whole number of things, ranging from exhaust leak through to a carb sync or even the cct.

Most people describe the cct failure noise (which is normally presnt in the mid 5k rpm range) as a can of bb's. Take a look at my thread titled head gasket and watch my video... I have a cct ordered so will be fitting that this weekend and will update the thread with results.

As you describe vibrations rather than a tapping noise im inclined to suggest your carbs need adjusting... has the bike been worked on recently?

Old 07-31-2013, 12:01 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

Here's my bike after I synced the carbs and lowered the idle at 1200 +/- 50 RPM bike is still lean but very happy and doesnt shudder one bit throughout the Powerband (used to give me the shakes between 7k - 12k rpms. My exhaust springs are super loose so I need to replace them

Old 07-31-2013, 05:33 AM

Thank you everyone for the replies. Just to clear up, it is a vibe rather than a tap, only presents itself in the 5-6K region and comes through all areas of the bike (seat, handlebars, footpegs). The bike has covered 16,000 miles and runs spot on other than an intermittent tappet noise during warm-up if its cold out.

I've recently replaced the CCT as the rattle was present, made one hell of a difference. You don't realise how loud something is until it disappears!

I'll check the exhaust headers although I suspect they are fine. Their stock headers and can, after a quick pressure test and they don't *seem* to be leaking.

Carb syncing seems like my best option? Having looked at a few guides the job doesn't appear exceptionally difficult to DIY?

Yes, I've done a fair bit of work recently. However the vibe was there well before I owned the bike (I know the previous owner).

Old 07-31-2013, 11:46 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

Yea a carb sync won't hurt and for the f4 its super easy; all you need is the gauges and a tachometer that can read +/- 50 rpm. Mine were all over the place but it took me about 15 min to pull everything off, calibrated the gauges, set the idle, and sync the carbs. My vibrations came for the engine as well, so let me know if that helps and if not I'll think of some other stuff.