CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Turn signal rate..

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 09:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal rate..

I know this has been mentioned before however all my searches found that most problems were complicated becuase plp had diff set-ups such as, led signals and intagrated tail, ect...ect... ect.. Mine is simple, im replacing my front and rear with flush mounth signals both are identical and NOT LED. I've removed and tested the back signals and found them to be too fast way too fast in fact. So bottom line, how do I slow them down, resistors or a relay of some type??? Im sure someone has to have figure this out they are typical flush mount signals pic below... thank you all for advice! laters

Attached Thumbnails Turn signal rate..-img00020.jpg   Turn signal rate..-img00019.jpg  
Old 02-26-2009, 11:56 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the relay that is already on your bike is a load dependent relay. Therefore if you had a pair of turn signals removed when you went to 'test the flash rate', you may not have provided enough load and therefore the lights would've flashed quickly. Non LED lights (read, incandescent bulbs) should provide enough load so that the flash rate is slower.

However, if you're still not satisfied with the flash rate, go out (ebay, online) and buy an "electronic led flasher relay"... cost you approx $20, but is load independent, and will slow down your rate. I have LED lights all around, and prior to buying a new relay, flashes were about twice a second. Now, I'm down to once a second.

Now... if you REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted to get creative, I could create a circuit for you that YOU could adjust your flasher rate.... but it would require you to have good working electrical knowledge...

John
BT

Old 02-26-2009, 01:07 PM

John, thanks for the reply, 1st: a friend told me that he had a similar case with his 05 1000rr and suggested I install the front as well then test them again. According to him his slowed down a lil after both were installed. I will have to try that and see how much slower it is. These new signals are incandescent bulbs just smaller than my stock about 1/2 size. 2nd I do have some knowledge my dad taught me somethings when i was much younger, can a circuit really be built small enough and protected from water/moisture ect safely? Let me know...what u think thanks

Old 02-26-2009, 01:24 PM

what bout resistors???

Old 02-26-2009, 07:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could try using resistors to increase the load seen, however, with resistors, you'll need to use the 5-10w sand block resistors. These lights won't be used for running lights will they? Cause thats a lot of power/heat to dissapate.

My suggestion was to use a LM555 or LM556 IC chip, capacitor and potentiometer (this would vary your flash rate), but it would be cheaper for you to just buy one of those relays i suggested (or try the resistor route)

"can a circuit really be built small enough and protected from water/moisture ect safely?" Sure, why not. I think the limiting factor is the physical size of certain components, as well as how you connect them.

John
BT

Old 02-27-2009, 08:25 AM

son of a B.....so much trouble for just wanting to signal...im really not too worried bout heat since signaling might only take at the most 20-40 seconds at a light (approx). But u bring up a good piont, I've only tested my rear lights, my front lights are equiped with a 3rd wire for "running lights". What results should I get?? If a smaller bulb had a faster rate effect on 'turning signal' mode, what the hell is it gonna do when its in 'running light' mode?? I guess I'll find out tonite when I test them out. Can Resistors be attached to the wires for all turn signals, but leave the runing light connection alone?