CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Stalling when Hot Issues Continue!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 08:21 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Unreal.. I wouldn't think that turn signal bulbs could draw so much to make a difference, but I'm glad your bike is liking it. I wonder if a set of flush mount led light would be a better mod since they draw less than the stockers...

Old 07-06-2011, 10:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbulenz
Unreal.. I wouldn't think that turn signal bulbs could draw so much to make a difference, but I'm glad your bike is liking it. I wonder if a set of flush mount led light would be a better mod since they draw less than the stockers...
I have thought about changing to led flush mounts. The bulbs might be pulling just enough to effect an aging electrical system. Changing to led doesn't change the fact that the electrical system is old and will need repair but where to start is a big question. All the parts are NOT cheap.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:18 AM

Well, I found one of my culprits for my charging system. My stator connector fused/melted. Even the plastic on the wires melted. See picture below. I replaced the wiring and the connector with a better one. Bike is up and running again, but still not 100%. Still has a slight stutter, so I'm pretty much back to where I started. It's not falling on it's face, just sounds like it has a slight miss. Which might be carbs running off too. I need to pull my spark plugs and see if I'm running to rich or too lean. I'm getting horrible gas mileage too. Around 100-120 miles per tank. I used to get around 160.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:05 PM

That's pretty melted, I wonder what caused that to happen.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:10 AM

Old wires, new regulator/rectifier pulling more current. So far no problems after replacing the connector and all the wires from the connector to the R/R. Still has a slight stutter, but I think that's mainly the carbs. Doesn't change much when the fan kicks on or whatever.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:58 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stampern
Old wires, new AFTERMARKET regulator/rectifier pulling more current. So far no problems after replacing the connector and all the wires from the connector to the R/R. Still has a slight stutter, but I think that's mainly the carbs. Doesn't change much when the fan kicks on or whatever.
^ For clarification to readers, fixed it for you.

Also, since you just found the damaged wires/connections, its likely possible that it was caused before the new R/R installation.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:16 PM

It's possible it could have been caused before the new R/R was installed. I'm still having a slight stuttor when at idle. Not sure if it's power related or the carbs not being tuned well enough or out of sync. I will keep you guys updated.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:27 PM

I cleaned and applied dielectric grease to a bunch of connections yesterday. Started the bike and all was fine till the fan kicked on. I am thinking maybe the stator can't handle all the load. According to the trouble shooting article I mentioned above, my charging system is "ok". When the bike starts stuttering increasing rpm's gets rid of it but that would mean I would have to keep my bike at around 2k rpm's.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:51 PM

Bike has been running great and it is hotter then hell outside. I hope you all figure it out.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:56 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

BiggMatt, you went to LED signals? 2 wire I assume since they are only on when you put on your signals, not as running lights?

Quick Reply: Stalling when Hot Issues Continue!