CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Random gearbox issue on UK spec '99 600 FX

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random gearbox issue on UK spec '99 600 FX

Hi there folks,
New here but on the scrounge for some advice already.
Recently bought a 25k miles 1999 600FX, really nice condition, seems well looked after. Test rode it on the day, and it seemed sound. Did the usual test of choosing each gear, and chopping the throttle hard at both high and low revs to see if it popped out. Nothing untoward.

Used it to commute for a couple days and aside from a clutch cable that needs replacing, it all seemed lovely. Took it to Whitby Sunday just gone, and filtering through traffic on the way back, it gave me a false neutral between 2nd and 3rd (on the way up) at about 20mph. It initially found 3rd, but bounced out with a ridiculous bang, and lots of grinding. After I shat myself having thought my chain had snapped, I clutched in but couldn't find a gear, up or down.
Having left it to cool slightly and inspected my chain and clutch cable (chain brand new and nicely tensioned, clutch cable a bit tired but plenty serviceable) I set off again, with the box feeling fine.
About 5miles up the road and it bounced me out of 4th back into 3rd (again, low revs, on the way up). It was a bloody scary ride home for the last 70mile but she made it.
Having used it to commute Mon & Tues, I'm now hearing an awful grinding in 2nd, when off the throttle at below 4k, and the same in 5th at under 6k.
The clutch cable is tired, but selects gears fine, and there is no drag, so I cant see it being from a part-engagement bouncing it out of gear. (I have a new genuine one from Fowler's on the way anyway) And I have an oil and filter kit ready to go when the cable arrives.
My main questions are:
1. What the hell can the grinding be?

2. If the clutch cable and fluid service don't solve it, where do I start my investigation before I ring the dealer and tell him to take it back?

Any help would be much appreciated, as this is my only vehicle and has cost an arm and a leg to Insure so far, so I don't want to have to get rid.

Cheers, TheProf. 👍

Old 10-02-2019, 05:00 PM

Update:
As expected, the cable and fresh squashed dinosaur juice made very little difference. though it hasn't bounced out of gear since, i can still hear the very disconcerting grinding noise in 2nd at low revs (doesn't see much higher than 4th on the daily commute) but have ordered some
Circlip pliers to remove my shift lever, so I can check/lube/replace the lever bush as necessary. I'm currently running 13hr shifts and weekends too, so tinker time is limited, but will update as and when.

Again, if anyone has any ideas, please give me a shout, it will be much appreciated.
Cheers. 👍

Old 10-03-2019, 08:47 AM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Straight back to your dealership. Be polite and explain your problem and hopefully they will investigate thoroughly and correctly diagnose your issue.

Old 10-05-2019, 04:35 AM

Cheers for the reply Wes, am thinking that meself. Got the pliers now, so will check the shift linkage bush and lube it if it seems off, as I have read about bad bushes holding the selector at half engagement.
I have also read about a similar issue on the MK1 hornets, though it doesn't seem a common thing on cbr's (mine has the engine after the MK1 hornets).
Am hoping not to have to send it back, as the dealer is 90miles away and I need the CBR as it's my daily.

Will update once I've had the bush out.
Cheers. 👍

Old 10-08-2019, 06:08 PM

Hi again.
So linkage came off this morning, was dirty, but no scoring or pitting on either face. Cleaned it all up with brake cleaner and a rag, and gave it a nice coating of white lithium grease. Reassembled it, cleaned any excess off, and bolted it all back up.

Headed out to North Yorkshire around lunchtime, and the difference in shift was incredible, so much crispier and more positive feeling.
Unfortunately about 45 miles in, plodding behind a wagon in 5th around 4k, she spat me back into 4th. 😒
It re-engaged as it should, and was fine the rest of the way to Whitby, where I drowned my sorrows in a steak pie. But true to form, she decided to false neutral me in both 3rd and 4th on the way home, always at low revs/load.
I have till Sunday to get a refund on the bike, and because of work commitments (away on site till after Christmas) having her repaired isn't really an option, due to not being able to collect till mid January, and not wanting to collect her only to find the issue crop up again.
I really don't want to get rid, i've really enjoyed her as my first sportsbike, and can't find another Ultima light for reasonable money. 😢
Gutted.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:11 PM

Just to add, the dealer is aware of the issues, and has been very helpful in trying to eliminate any possible causes via text.
Having crossed the most likely "easy fix" solutions my only conclusion is a hamfisted previous owner has mashed the selector fork/drum.
Will speak to him tomorrow and see what I can arrange.

Old 10-10-2019, 03:13 PM

Ok, taking her back tomorrow. Much as I don't want to get rid, the dealer has agreed it's not financially viable for either of us to try repair the box on this bike, so offered me a refund. I work away for a lot of the year, and it's not worth the hassle of fitting a replacement lump of unknown history, to find out it's got it's own issues 3 months down the line. Bit gutted, but we'll see what happens over winter.

Old 10-11-2019, 09:19 AM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I understand your disappointment but your lucky your dealer dealt with you fairly. You could of had a nightmare getting something back.
Look on it as an opportunity to find a gem that will put a smile back on your face. Plenty of good bikes out there reasonably priced and who knows, you could look back on this as a blessing in disguise.
Best of luck mate.