CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

no fuel to the carbs. need help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no fuel to the carbs. need help!

Im having trouble getting this bike started after a winter of sitting around. Good fuel,oil etc.
She wants to kick ovee but isnt getting far. Tried spaying with fuel starter and got it to backfire one time. I decided to open her up a little. Took off the fuel tank and air filter. Thats when i noticed that the carbs were bone dry!! After many attempts i believe they shouldbe a llittle wet with fuel. Any ideas why i might not be getting and fuel to the carbs? Please any help is very appreciated.

Update!- removed fuel pump and tried gravity feed. Still no luck

Last edited by 617rider; 04-24-2014 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:27 AM
Registered Users

Are the carb bowls bone dry? There's a screw at the bottom of the carb bowls, if you loosen one fuel should flow out. If it flows you know your carbs are being fed with fuel. After a while sat around I'd maybe expect that you'll need to take the carbs off and give them a good clean.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by monkee
Are the carb bowls bone dry? There's a screw at the bottom of the carb bowls, if you loosen one fuel should flow out. If it flows you know your carbs are being fed with fuel. After a while sat around I'd maybe expect that you'll need to take the carbs off and give them a good clean.

if there is no fuel is the pump vibrating? seems common for the pumps to pack up.

when mine went i removed the hose and turned the bike over to ensure the pump was working.

if not could it be floats in carbs?

Old 04-25-2014, 10:09 AM
Exclamation

Thanks for the input. I had the carbs completely redone last year before the summer riding season, also got new plugs and some new internal parts for the fuel pump (heads i believe they're called). Ran fine all summer and fall.

When i took the pump off yesterday i drained it of gas because it was all plugged up. The gas coming out definetely didn't look healthy (rusty looking). I believe the pump must be working in some way because the fuel lines going from pump into carbs had fuel in them that spewed out when hanging.

Could there maybe be a block of some sort in the lines the split and go into the carbs, because like i said they are bone dry. This is very frustrating because im watching everybody ride past me on their bikes!

Also i do not have any tools to test the currents to make sure all components get electricity.
But even if the pump doesnt work i tried the gravity feed and still not fuel in carbs. Does gravity feed even work on the 99 F4?

Old 04-25-2014, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by markybwoi
if there is no fuel is the pump vibrating? seems common for the pumps to pack up.

when mine went i removed the hose and turned the bike over to ensure the pump was working.

if not could it be floats in carbs?
I had a problem with the floats before. Even though they were redone last year i think you may have pinpointed the problem. I'm going to get out there and check the floats today. Thanks!

Old 04-26-2014, 07:06 AM

You could test them yourself remove them and check for holes etc. I think its common problem my friend just had the same issue with his blackbird.