CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Need some parts suggestions for my bike!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 06:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some parts suggestions for my bike!

Ok guys, heres the thing. I need to fix up my bike for the season. It needs EVERYTHING (pretty much). The thing is, I'm looking to get ready to sell it as I want to upgrade to something newer. It sucks because I wanted to sell it this summer and all of these things are pertinent and absolutely cant go any longer without being done.

What i'm looking for is suggestions/recommendations for good, lower price parts that I need. I don't have to have OEM, but i'm also not looking for something that's going to last 4 months and need to be replaced. Something middle of the line, good value that's not going to break the bank.

Perhaps you guys can also tell me exactly what kind I should be looking for, as I haven't done a whole lot of self-maintenance to the bike since I got it 2 years ago.

1999 CBR F4 600CC

Heres what I need:

New Chain (I know it needs to be 108 links)
New Sprockets
New Rear Brake Pads
Oil Change

and I could use new tires, but honestly they're at about 60% and I might just hold off on them since they'll last the rest of the season and let the person i (hopefully) sell it to that it will need some new ones next season.

I was quoted at a new OEM chain costing $135... I saw this one on Amazon and was wondering if it was/would be decent? Amazon.com: RK Racing Chain 530XSOZ1-108 108-Links X-Ring Chain with Connecting Link: Automotive

if not, is there something comparable or maybe even cheaper that you guys know will work well? What about for the other things on this list? I reaaaaally need to try and stay around $200 ($250 max) for all of this (minus the tires).

Thanks anyone for your help! it's much appreciated! Hopefully I can get this thing up and going so I can get out on the road a few more times, sell it, and then get a newer cbr!

Old 04-05-2012, 07:47 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sprocket Center for a chain & sprockets kit. 16/45 sprocket sizes. (RK & D.I.D 525 chains are oem).
Oem Honda brake pads.
Pro Honda GN4 10w40 oil or Rotella.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:08 PM

thanks.. so i see you're recommending all oem parts. Is there really no "off-brand" out there thats considerably cheaper and still of pretty decent quality?

Old 04-05-2012, 09:23 PM

also i just noticed that the link for the chain i posted on amazon, when on amazon it lets you enter your model of vehicle and it tells you if the chain is compatible... well when i get to the make of my vehicle it has a dropdown for all CARS. Is this chain i posted a link to for cars and not bikes? The guy who looked at my bike said my bike took a 108 chain... which this one on here says it is... am i missing something?

Old 04-05-2012, 10:36 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

stick to RK and D.I.D chains, steel sprockets. As far as pads go, go with OEM or EBC. Oil is oil, rotella, castrol, mobile 1 what ever as long as it meets the OEM req's found in the manual.

Sad to hear your getting rid of your F4

Old 04-06-2012, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Raphius
thanks.. so i see you're recommending all oem parts.
Close... The sprockets that come in the kits from Sprocket Center are not oem Honda BUT are quality nevertheless. Drive Systems, AFAM, & Superlite, are all acceptable offerings. Stick w/ steel sprockets...they last longer & are typically cheaper than aluminum.

Is there really no "off-brand" out there thats considerably cheaper and still of pretty decent quality?
Sorry, I don't recommend "off-brands" - a.k.a inferior parts - just to save a buck, especially when you are planning to ride it again b/f you sell it. I respect your safety (& the next guy) too much to do that.

Oem parts & the sprockets mentioned above are quality parts at very decent prices. The dif in any increased cost isn't going to be that significant. Just do it right for your safety & pay it forward for the next guy.

also i just noticed that the link for the chain i posted on amazon... The guy who looked at my bike said my bike took a 108 chain... which this one on here says it is... am i missing something?
Don't know about the amazon stuff. >>> What you need is a 108 link chain for stock sized sprockets. Just some FYI - The factory service manual lists 110 links for the F4 but 110 is a little long & you'll run out of adjust room w/ life still left in the chain. In '01 Honda started recommending the 108 link chain for the F4i (which has 16/46 sprockets). Just by reading that, you can recognize that 108 link is the better choice.

As I listed above, Rotella oil is a good alternative to the Pro Honda GN4. Rotella is inexpensive & available by the gallon at walmart for about $13.

To save money, do the maintenance yourself & you can keep it close to your budget.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:06 PM

also check the tires code and see how old they are. If they are over 3 years old replace them. the date code would be weeks first then year.

so example

3908 would be the 39th week of the year 2008....

which is September 21, 2008 - September 27, 2008 is when your tire was made....

as for oil get what you like. I use Amsoil full synthetic Oil with their filter.

for your rear brake... I would check the rotor to make sure its still in it's servicing limits

as for the pad I like GALFER G1054 SEMI-METALLIC BRAKE PADS its a good pad don't go for cheap ones they always come back to bite you in the ***.

if your going to be doing all this work I would also go ahead and bleed the rear brake system if you haven't done it in a while.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:42 AM

Thanks everyone for all the recommendations and tips!

GotCBR, I went to that site and picked out a sprocket and chain kit, but can you help me fill in the numbers? 520 Conversion Kit - Superlite Steel Sprocket Set w/D.I.D. Brand Premium 520 X'ring Chain - HONDA CBR 600F4 99-00 Sprocket Center front and rear sprocket size, as well as chain size? thanks! Also, from that same site, can you recommend a link to some decent brake pads?

Old 04-07-2012, 11:39 AM

Request chain cut to 108 links. 16/45 sprockets.

I recommend the oem size of 525 w/ steel sprockets. This kit is sufficient... 525 Steel Sprocket Set - with RK Brand 525 XSO X'ring Chain - HONDA CBR 600F4 99-00 Sprocket Center. It includes a std chain w/ 16/45 steel sprockets for $184.95.

If you do want to do the 520 conversion for the kit you mention above, you're looking at $163.95 w/ the first chain choice.

As for brake pads, looks like they only offer EBC pads... EBC Double H Sintered Front Streetbike Brake Pads - HONDA (Two Sets) Sprocket Center. Price = $65.95

I believe I pay less than that for Honda oem from the local Honda shop but can't confirm that at the moment. You can always call your local shop (if you have one nearby) & ask.

Good luck w/ your choices & ordering. We're here if you need more help. :-)

Last edited by gotcbr; 04-07-2012 at 11:43 AM. Reason: link