CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Need new Chain and Sprockets! Suggestions Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 03:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need new Chain and Sprockets! Suggestions Needed!

I have a 2000 F4. I know what the OEM sizes are and everything, but I'm not sure if I should go with the original or if I should get something different.
  • I'm not going to be taking it on the track right now, so it's just street riding (but I do like to go fast... I guess that goes without saying lol).
  • I don't need to get off the line ultra fast.
  • From my limited understanding, I probably don't need to do a 520 conversion.
  • I want the best bang for my buck, specifically because I don't have a lot of money right now.

So what should I get? What will give me the best value?

Thank you! I will answer any questions promptly.

-davidsass.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:46 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stock size of 16/45 is certainly sufficient for the street.

You could go to 16/46, which is the stock sizes for the F4i. You would have very little change (almost imperceptible) in your speedo w/ this change & negligible gain.

Or, you could do the popular mod of -1/+2. While it will give you quicker acceleration off the line, you'll be running a higher rpm on the highway. Also, your gears will be shorter, which means you'll be shifting more often. So, there is a trade off.

520 conversions are more a matter of preference than anything, as far as street riding goes. While overall the result would be less rotating mass, its not all that significant in application for everyday street riding. However, it should be noted that less rotating mass = a little better throttle response. 520 conversions typically cost a little more. Your decision if the cost = benefit.

I've been pleased w/ the products & service from SprocketCenter. They can put together a package for you, either a sprocket set or sprockets & chain. Give 'em a call.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:41 AM

My speedometer is totally effed anyway from the last guy that had it, so I'm going to be getting a SpeedoHealer eventually, so that's not a problem. If 16/46 is worth it and comparable in price, that sounds fine to me.

I don't necessarily need the -1/+2, from what it sounds like. Especially if it costs more and doesn't add too much. I do more than start off the line, lol. It's also my only vehicle, so I commute with it as well.

SprocketCenter eh... ok, thank you!

Old 04-26-2011, 11:42 AM

Also, any advice on picking a specific chain/sprocket? Besides calling them.

Thanks again.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:50 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

RK & D.I.D are Honda OEM chain suppliers. SprocketCenter carries them.

SprocketCenter carries AFAM & DriveSystems sprockets. I prefer the DriveSystems style but have/had both profiles.

Check their site for combo packages. They have some good priced packages.

There are other online sources that also provide packages but I've dealt w/ SprocketCenter & know them to have excellent customer service, as well as good prices.

Happy shopping!

Old 04-29-2011, 08:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just use a D.I.D. chain and sprocket set. Stock sprocket tooth count.

PS: Get a Scottoiler V-system and the dual injector. Your chain and sprockets will last forever.

Old 04-30-2011, 12:54 AM

I suggest RK Chains... and stay with the stock ratios....

Old 04-30-2011, 07:31 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yuppers, all good advice. I'm for the stock ratio, as well, if you are a daily commuter. Even on scooters the price of gas is becoming a factor.

I did go with a 520 kit for my 98 CBR600F3. I actually found the price cheaper than a 525/530 kit. I'm guessing that(at least for my model), that is the mass-market model factoring in there.

I don't race, I go for smooth, so I expect I'll still get massive milage out of the thing, anyway. If you are a thrasher, look for earlier replacement with the 520's though.

Ern

Old 04-30-2011, 10:24 AM

That's pretty sound logic.... Mass-marketing has also convinced most people that 520 = better which is not always the case.. it really depends on the application.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:04 PM

I currently have the 16/45 setup on a 99 cbr600 f4. I have a question that isnt exactly on subject but can i put a 14 tooth sprocket on front and retain the same chain? The chain i just put on the bike but I wanted a more stunt geared bike. Cant afford to spend to much into this but i would be interested in buying someone's used sprocket if they have a good one. My current chain is a 525. If someone has removed a stunt setup I would buy it if the price is right. but my main question was would any of guys know if going from a 16 to a 14 is possible without breaking chain again. I know the chain is going to get slack with this setup but it is brand new and i have a lot of adjustment i can go.