CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Low Fuel Indicator not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 03:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Fuel Indicator not working was NOT the problem!

I ran out of fuel today (coasting into my driveway!)
It made sense for the distance I had on the odo, but the light didn't come on. It was working recently as a couple of weeks ago, but I'm not certain about after I had the tank off for plugs and air filter change.
Both connectors were attached, so I hadn't forgotten to connect the sensor.
Manual says if the light doesn't come on, put a jumper across the connectors. If it comes on then (with ignition on), replace the sensor. If it still doesn't come on, replace the printed circuit board. It doesn't come on, but there is voltage across the connectors. So if a jumper across two connectors doesn't make the bulb come on, the problem must be at the board.
Do I really have to replace a PCB? It's not a bulb?

Everything works on the bike. I hate to have something not working, but I hate to spend a hundred bucks to make a bulb work, too.

Any ideas?

Last edited by emefef; 09-12-2012 at 07:47 AM. Reason: updated title
Old 09-10-2012, 04:15 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How long did you wait for the light to come on with the jumper wire installed? IIRC it took about a minute.. I didnt think mine worked until I actually ran it low enough to see it.. but when I jumped it nothing happened until I let it sit for about a minute.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:29 PM
Default How long did I wait? Do I seem like a Patient Man?!

Originally Posted by Turbulenz
How long did you wait for the light to come on with the jumper wire installed? IIRC it took about a minute.. I didnt think mine worked until I actually ran it low enough to see it.. but when I jumped it nothing happened until I let it sit for about a minute.
Damn - I just assumed it would be instant. I went back out and tried it - and it worked. So that means it could be the sensor, or it was a fluke because the connectors weren't on tight.
I'll run it down to a low level again (I splashed gas in to make sure I was actually just out of gas) and see what happens. I feel much better having to replace the sensor than a whole circuit board.
Thanks Turbulenz!

Old 09-10-2012, 05:54 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

no prob.. glad it wasnt the board!

Old 09-11-2012, 08:51 AM
Default Nope not the board - but not the problem either!

Turns out maybe I wasn't out of gas, and not quite low enough for the light to come on so there was nothing wrong with the indicator or sensor.

I filled up this morning. Part way to work it died - kind of like the r/r problem when it's hot and the fan comes on and you have to keep the revs up to keep it going - but that wouldn't work, and it happened while I was moving, rather than idling. Made it to the shoulder on the highway, right at the bottom of a big long bridge.

Battery was dead. So after some pushing (uphill) and resting, I did more pushing (uphill) and resting. Then I did that once more, and after that rest I pulled the headlight fuse, and started coasting down the other side. Got going at a pretty good clip, and got it started, made it about halfway back home. It seemed like it was running okay, I kept the revs up, then it just died again. I pushed it into an "Aren't We Naughty" outlet store and came home for the trailer. If anyone recognizes it, I'd rather they thought I was shopping than broken down...

The strange thing is that I ride the bike every day, and this was rather sudden. Last night it happened at the end of a half hour ride, today it happened 10 minutes in. It's not that hot. Also, it doesn't just die like it was shut off (like a sidestand switch or kill switch problem), it's trying to keep going and failing.

I'm going to go pick it up and start troubleshooting. It has to be electrical, if the battery's toast. Either the battery isn't getting charged, or something is draining it.

Right?

Old 09-11-2012, 12:52 PM

I thought it was meant to come on with a gallon left so around 4.5 litres?

Old 09-11-2012, 02:58 PM
Default Not the light

I ran battery voltage directly to the fuel pump and it worked. I started the bike and held it there, and it ran. I tested the fuel transfer relay and fuel cutoff relay according to the steps in the manual. It seems the pump will run under 20 km/h. BOth relays appear to be okay. I had everything disconnected to test either voltage or continuity, and it still starts and runs fine. Once there's someone else home to pick me up if I need it, I'll go for another ride.
It's frustrating because I'm not sure what didn't work. I don't know when or if to expect it again.