CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Just wrecked bike for first time...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 09:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by estate4life
Hey but if the front wheel is bent badly don't push start...hazardous..

I am still betting on that BAS.... We should start a "gentlemen's Bet/Braggin' Rights" thread, where people post their problems, then everyone else guesses and then, (AND THIS IS THE KEY) the OP with the problem says what it was and we measure sizes , to see who's guess was the closest of course.

But it won't work... nice idea but it would die out and then become locked, or turn into a waste. OH WEEL, I guess TheOneJordan is too busy playing golf.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:25 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not saying its the case here. But, often people come here for help & we never hear back whether they fixed their problem or not.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:38 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Or they come here to vent there problems..

Originally Posted by gotcbr
Not saying its the case here. But, often people come here for help & we never hear back whether they fixed their problem or not.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:46 PM

Sorry for the delay in the responses!

After the wreck, Day 1, the bike sat for a day before getting it towed to my house.

I got it into my garage, Day 2, and said hell, let's see if it will turn over now.

I went to start it and when I clicked the ignition switch it went to turn over, we heard a loud PING from under the gas tank then I let off the switch. After about 5 minutes of scratching our heads, I said screw it. What do I have to lose? One last time. Tried it again, nothing. Just the lights on the dash would dim.

At the end of Day 3 I went into my garage and tried to start it again. BOO YA! It started! It was blowing white smoke like a truck, but it started. It ran for about 5 minutes before it died. I did not try to turn it over again.

At the begining Day 4 I went into the garage again to start it. It started again perfectly fine, except this time when it turned over I heard a loud BANG. Sounded like a backfire, scared the living sh*t out of me haha. Let it idle for a minute or so and started revving it to see if I could get some smoke to come out. Everytime I would rev it past 5k and it would drop down it would backfire. Let it run for a few more minutes then it died.

At the end of Day 4 I went to start it again. Nothing. I heard the starter clicking and that was it. Assuming low battery? Not sure.

When I get off of work today I am going buy a battery tender and will hook that up to it for the rest of the night tonight and see if it will start tomorrow. Will keep everyone posted!

** I DID NOT PROOF READ THIS SO ANY BAD SPELLING / GRAMMAR YOU FIND, CORRECT IT YOURSELF **

Old 11-03-2011, 01:17 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Now, that's an update! ;-)

Sounds like it was flooded. Yep, prob drained the battery.

Absolutely, let us know what happens after your battery re-charge. Here's hoping for good luck!

Old 11-03-2011, 01:29 PM

I revoke my bet on the BAS!

I would change the plugs... maybe one of them is fouled and that is why you are getting the backfire (fuel being sent into cylinder but not burned/burning excess fuel out of exhaust).

Does it run bad? Does it sound like a V-twin or different than before the crash? If so then for sure plug(s) are bad.

Last edited by Trey929RR; 11-03-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:40 PM

FLOODED!! mine did it too when i hit that fence that one time lol, it took a while to start it after i flipped it back over to go home, and it died like 6 times before i got there, then ran like crap for a while, i didnt even change the plugs, i just rode it around the like 20 times and ran some seafoam in it ( idk y, i just love seafoam lol) runs fine now, just try and run it as much as you can after you charge it up, dont ride it obviously due to the wheel. also mine backfired too, check all your fluids and get back to us!

Old 11-03-2011, 04:42 PM

^^^ *** rode it around the block***

Old 11-03-2011, 11:17 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

here are the procedures to for a flooded engine:

1. Turn the engine stop switch to the off position
2. open the throttle fully
3. turn the ignition switch on and operate the starter for 5 seconds
4. place the engine stop switch in the run position
5.depress the starter button to start the engine.

If the engine does not start repeat the process, but wait at least 10 sec between cranking the engine. If the engine starts but idles roughly, vary the throttle position slightly until the engine idles and responds smoothly. The ECM interrupts the fuel supply if the throttle is in the open position while the engine is cranking. The only time it is necessary to open the throttle all the way is when your attempting to start a flooded engine. Hope that helps; I just dropped my bike off at the shop and I asked the mech how to handle a flooded engine.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:21 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

Oh and I would recommend pulling the plugs and cleaning them. It will make your life easier. Ive spent 20 min trying to clear out a flooded 2 stroke outboard motor and Ive spent 5 pulling the plugs wiping them down and cleaning em off than starting the outboard.

Quick Reply: Just wrecked bike for first time...