CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

If I change the sprocket and chain....

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 01:36 PM
BW
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If I change the sprocket and chain....

If i change the sprocket and chain with a different setup then stock is there anything else i have to do or is that it. and what would be the best for a 99 f4????

Old 12-03-2007, 09:44 AM
Default RE: If I change the sprocket and chain....

Your speedo will read faster then what you are going, but it's not big deal. The worst part is it will add some miles there is not on your bike. I have a 520 kit with -1 one the front and Alum rear with stock # of teeth and I love it. My speedo is off some, but it don't bother me-if anytihing it helps keep me out of trouble LOL!

Old 12-03-2007, 06:25 PM
BW

thanks...now i just have to look for a good set up.....thanks for the help

Old 12-03-2007, 08:32 PM

Yeah, I have the same setup as bumble bee, 520 conversion, -1 on the front, stock aluminum rear (RK/Vortex kit). I also love it. Like he said, the speedo/odo will be off, but that is also fixable if you want. I just bought and installed a speedo healer to fix that. I was fine with it for a while, but then calculated that I was off by more than 10%, with the stock being off already combined with the gearing change. Thats at least anextra 10 miles for every actual 100, and I also like knowing just how fast I'm really going.

If you're interested in that kit, shoot me a PM. Ican get you the info of a guy that'll get you a prettydecent deal. Also, contact Carolina cycle (Cameron) for the speedohealer.He's a member here and they had a group buy on them a bit ago here, but I'm sure he can still get you a great deal.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:48 PM
Banned

I'm confused...

While the speedo calculates wheel speed, doesn't the odometer only count full rotation of the wheel?

I'm not seeing how any difference in sprockets would affect your odometer. Maybe I just don't understand...

Old 12-14-2007, 07:40 AM

Yeah I have the (RK/Vortex) kit as well. The odometer and speedo get there reading from the same signal or cable-it's like that on any vehicle. I guess I should get a speedo healer in the spring. Are they hard to set up?

Old 12-17-2007, 11:31 AM

ORIGINAL: Bumble Bee

Yeah I have the (RK/Vortex) kit as well. The odometer and speedo get there reading from the same signal or cable-it's like that on any vehicle. I guess I should get a speedo healer in the spring. Are they hard to set up?
Nope, really simple install. You do have to pulloff the tank to access the speed sensor, but them you just plug it in, route it to the trunk area, and set the switches. They have an online calculator to estimate the settings with gearing switches, factory error, etc. It seems pretty good based on just that, but I'd like to try and dial it in even better. A couple of options are to time yourself at a constant speed across a constant distance such as mile markers. Or if you have access to a GPS, you can see your real speed versus the speedo reading. Again, you can plug that info into the calculator for the settings. Good buy in my opinion...

Old 12-17-2007, 02:37 PM

ORIGINAL: turkey281

ORIGINAL: Bumble Bee

Nope, really simple install. You do have to pulloff the tank to access the speed sensor, but them you just plug it in, route it to the trunk area, and set the switches. They have an online calculator to estimate the settings with gearing switches, factory error, etc. It seems pretty good based on just that, but I'd like to try and dial it in even better. A couple of options are to time yourself at a constant speed across a constant distance such as mile markers. Or if you have access to a GPS, you can see your real speed versus the speedo reading. Again, you can plug that info into the calculator for the settings. Good buy in my opinion...
I gave a Garmin GPS so in the springI will have to charge it up and strap it to the bike some how to see how off my speedo is.