CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

how long do I wait??

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 02:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how long do I wait??

So I've been wanting to take my Fiance on a ride on my bike, but I didn't know how long I should wait to get use to the bike, or how difficult it is to ride with a second person on. I have had the bike for a little over 2 weeks, but I have been riding on the street off and on for the last year or so. What do you guys think. It's just a short ride.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:30 PM
Default RE: how long do I wait??

Go find a big parking lot to ride around in, put her on the back and get a feel for it.

It is different thats for sure and if she doesn't know what to do when she's on the back it will make it even worse.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:44 PM

It partially depends on how much and how many miles you've ridden in the past two weeks. Are you completley comfortable with taking off and not killing it? Are you confident in your ability to make an emergency stop if you needed to? If you've been riding almost non-stop for two weeks, then you might be ready.I waited almost a month, but I didn't ride a ton as soon as I got my bike, just to andfrom work, and some errands. It just depends b/c adding a second person changes the feel of the bike significantly.

If you do decide you take her out, make sure you do it somewhere where there is little traffic and little chance to screw up (ie houses with dogs, little kidsthings like that)

Also make sure you tell her a few things so she knows how to ride well. Make sure she knows to always keep her feet on the pegs, even when stopped. Don't have her get on until your on and have a firm hold on the bike. Also tell her not to lean when your turning or when going fast, it can mess up the balance of the bike and cause problems[sm=badidea.gif].[sm=outcold.gif] And by all means make a signal so she knows when to hang on for dear life!! Don't want to drop her off the back!!!

Old 06-05-2008, 04:33 PM

It isnt that much different. but you can defientally know when she moves...just let her know that, I basically tell my wife to stay still... I wouldnt trust you riding her only after 2 weeks of riding.....get a few thousand miles on the bike then take her for a spin

Old 06-09-2008, 03:36 PM

i agree with n8, especially riding only for two weeks. I didn't put anyone on the back of my bike until I felt and know that i can manuver and take off confidently that took about 3 months and after my endorsement

Old 06-09-2008, 04:55 PM

If you have to ask this question... wait until this is no longer a question for you. There's no set time frame that you have to wait... do it when YOU are comfortable enough.