CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

How hard is it to change a sprocket and chain??

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 08:57 PM
BW
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How hard is it to change a sprocket and chain??

I have a new vortex kit and I was wondering how difficult it is to change it on my own???

Old 01-09-2008, 04:11 AM
Default RE: How hard is it to change a sprocket and chain??

changed my front and rear sprockets and chain last summer, first time i have done the job and found it fairly easy to do, read the haynes manual and you will be fine.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:25 AM

Yea I got a vortex and sproket kit with RK chain andchanged mine out with no problem using the Haynes manual. As long as you have basic workshop tools and something to set your bike on while your rear tire is off, you shouldn't have a problem!!

Old 01-09-2008, 10:12 AM

I have the Vortex/Rk 520 kit and I love it. Mine is -1 on the front and stock teeth on the rear. It's not to bad of a job if you have the manual. I did not install my kit since I had it installed when my bike was in for it's full serivce.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:17 PM

The process is simple. Pull off the rear chain cover (two bolts hold it on) and the front cover that is over the front sprocket (like 3 or 4 bolts). If the chain on the bike is an endless link style (no master link), try to adjust the rear axle up as far as possible (loosen rear nut on axle and adjust chain adjusters all the way in to try to slip off the chain without breaking it). Otherwise, use a chain breaker tool or even a grinder to get off the old chain if you want. If it is a masterlink style chain, just loosen chain and take clip off master link and slip link out. After this, the rest is simple. Pull the rear axle out and pull wheel off, in which case you can get to the rear sprocket. Either wrench or impact the front one off (impact is easiest). Then you can put on the new sprockets. Put all back together, and put chain on with masterlink (or press style link to make it an endless chain). If you bought a kit, you shouldn't need to pull out any links out of the chain, but if you simply bought a chain to go with new sprockets you might need to push out links (this requires a tool, from a company like Motion Pro tools, which is a good idea if you plan to do this alot or on others bikes, good way to make some extra cash!!!). Otherwise reattach, adjust length of chain so it matches oem specs as far as how loose it is (like an 1.125-1.375" or something, it says in manual and on the swing arm). Then tighten the rear axle. Lubricate, put covers back on a go to it.

I went with a 520 conversion, -1 in front and +3 in rear, bought bulk RK racing o-ring chain and cut myself with Motion Pro tool, and it gave me lots of acceleration, but speedo is 10 mph off, but Speedo Healer corrected that.

Good luck with that, Peace

Old 03-07-2008, 02:34 AM

Simmi is correct
It should take a 1 1/2 hr or so just make sure when you put it all back togather you use a good greese and tighten everything down to spec in the book.